Truck debate... - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-05-2012   #1

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Truck debate...

So I am wondering what the Buzzards think about vehicles instead of kayaks and rafts for a change.

I am pitting the Nissan Xterra PROX4 against the Toyota FJ Cruiser TRD Trails Team Edition. Which of these would make the sweetest kayak mobile, complete with racks, storage and awesomeness.

Discuss.

DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
neither, both are pieces of shit IMO. why would you want to spend that kind of money on a river vehicle? you could save so much money and just buy a used pick up or older toyota. I do not see why $30,000 for something you can barely sleep in is worth the money. they are mostly plastic. fucking junk, break often, are a bitch to work on yourself blah blah blah. save your money.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
find a deal on a used Toyota Tacoma, add a light weight camper shell and you are good to go.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012   #4

I was thinking the same thing lol….personally I hate the backseat and half door on the FJ, it’s horrible uncomfortable in the back and cargo space sucks. If it was those two I would go Xterra for the actual back doors and more room. Problem with either of those for me is they are trying to be an SUV but not really. They are smaller but don’t get any better mileage than a Tahoe. Might as well buy a crew cab truck or a full sized SUV, enjoy the cargo space and room to take your friends since you aren’t gaining anything in the cost department.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #5

Silverthorne, Colorado
Ok, seeing as how no one here as anything good to say about these two, let's change the contenders to the Land Rover Defender 110 and the Mercedes Unimog.
Old 03-05-2012   #6

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
While I love the FJ for what it is, which is a hard core off road capable SUV, it isn't exactly comfortable to drive, get to the back seat or reach the roof. The 2005 and newer 4Runner has the same chassis and engine with all of those issues solved. You can actually sleep on the folded down seats (the FJ has a lump), there are a second pair of doors to an actual back seat and the roof feels slightly lower.

As for the Xterra, just walk away. It's so cheaply made that you'll hate it after two weeks.

If you aren't offroading, the new Outback is a great kayakermobile. I recognize that it isn't very masculine, but it has a ton of interior room, is well made and is quiet on the highway.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #7

Silverthorne, Colorado
An outback will be joining my fleet as my daily driver shortly, I am just starting to think about a project vehicle for later on to build into a capable off-road kayaking rig.
Old 03-05-2012   #8

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
This one is for sale if you want to go straight to badass:

(I can get you in touch with my friend if you are interested)
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #9

Ashland and Lake Almanor, state of jefferson
Paddling Since: 1997
xterra is shit ? I have 1 with 139,770 never ever been in shop, I did my brakes.lol but that's it. I use to tow a 3 place sled trailer with 3 long tracks 70 mph.
light load I know, but it don't slow her down.
I test drove the FJ, nice rig. the rear sucks. 30,000$ xterra i didn't pay that, but I payed cash. a hella lot less.
if you go xterra, spend the coin and get the rear lockers.

whatever you do don't buy a ford diesel, ready to give mine away with 98,000
check out a older jeep. bomber 4x4, killer motor cheap parts. good beaters
and no worry about tearing shit up.
kaya dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #10

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
My dad has an Xterra and we all hate it. Bad MPG, bad ride quality, and only the short can sleep in the back. He's been trying to give it me and I've been resisting if that tells you anything.

I'd second the full size SUV or truck with camper comments. If you are going to get 20mpg hwy anyway you might as well have a castle on wheels.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote