Tricks for stacking oar frame boats? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2011   #1

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Tricks for stacking oar frame boats?

Just curious if anyone has figured out good tricks for stacking oar frame cats/rafts on a trailer? I always end up with oar locks digging into the boat above. If the oar locks are rotated out of the way, then it seems to be the captain's seat that causes problems. I'd like to be able to stack 2-3 boats. Enough river straps and a few PBRs to help with the heavy lifting and the job always seems to get done, but there must be an easier way.

cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
One way I have tried is to remove the frames off the boats being stacked and put them on top of the top boat. It depends on what kind of frames also. I have had no problem stacking my 14' oar rig on top of an 16'er that only had a rear guide frame.
Vailboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #3

Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
Buy a badass frame,like mine-made by Payette River Equipment or Madcatr

I can pull two clinch pins and the towers fold down into the boat...stacks like a dream.
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011   #4

Ridgway, Colorado
Take your big foam coozy's off of your PBR's, jam em' on your oar locks. Stack away! Works for me.
rtsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #5

up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
DRE type seat = removal, NRS seat if it has lo-pro fittings pull the bolts out of the seat bar and rotate the seat or if it has speed rail fittings loosen the set screw and rotate. If the oar towers are the speed rail type, instead of rotating them just pull the tower out of the fitting. And of course biggest on bottom and smallest on top.
All above suggestions work well also.
Trial and hopefully not too big of an error works.
Lots of secure straps.
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #6

Pine, Colorado
I take the towers off and have 2 pins on the seat which makes the whole thing a 2 minute deal. I regularly stack 2 or more boats on my trailer and have found this to be the simplest way for me.
English Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #7

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
For non-movable towers, put an old pair of shoes over the locks and let the next boat sit on the soles. I keep an old pair of running shoes in the rig next to the jumper cables for just that purpose.
malloypc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011   #8

loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO.rafter View Post
DRE type seat = removal, NRS seat if it has lo-pro fittings pull the bolts out of the seat bar and rotate the seat or if it has speed rail fittings loosen the set screw and rotate. If the oar towers are the speed rail type, instead of rotating them just pull the tower out of the fitting. And of course biggest on bottom and smallest on top.
All above suggestions work well also.
Trial and hopefully not too big of an error works.
Lots of secure straps.
Lots of good ideas! Thanks. Time to look at ways of making the seats and towers easier to move/remove. I also like the coozies and shoes for other peoples boats....
cpollema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011   #9

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
If you find yourself without shoes or coozies, polish off a couple 12-packs of PBR and put the empty beer boxes over the locks. Helps in a pinch. Plus, you get to drink a shit load of beer.
jmcdannel is offline   Reply With Quote