Tributary Inflatables Products - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-17-2012   #1

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Tributary Inflatables Products

Any input on quality of these products, Tributary Inflatables. Looks like they are the lower end of Aire products. PVC comes with a one year warranty as opposed to five or ten for the Aire upgrade.

treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012   #2

Lawson, Colorado
Hi- We have owned our Trib 14' SB for 6 years now heading into our 7th season. We run all the usual stuff: WW, RHT, Upper C, Ark, Chama, and are heading out soon on our 3rd week on Deso.

FYI the warranty on the Trib is 5-years vs. the 10-year on "real" AIRE products...from their site: "Our Tributary line of rafts, catarafts and kayaks offers tremendous value for paddlers on a budget. Featuring the same legendary air retention features of our AIRE line, they're backed with a solid 5-year warranty"

We love our boat and would recommend one to anyone. Only problem we had was a sticky valve at almost 5 years: AIRE sent a rebuild kit free of charge no questions asked.

Later, EZ
eze420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Fwiw

Cheaper materials, cheaper labor, less warrantee. Not everyone taxes their gear to the point that they require all that, and if that describes you, i'm perfectly fine with that. Its all about enjoying the experience

I didnt even consider a trib or anything else for that matter. For me It was worth the cost differential to have it all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012   #4

Summit County, Colorado
We have a 13' Trib that we got about 5 years ago. It's awesome and the 5 year warranty has been great. It's held up nicely, with a few minor repairs to the floor due to things we caused. We also have an Aire 16' Lion cat and love it as well. Tribs have the 5 year warranty, and Aire has the 10 year warranty. We'd recommend a Trib to anyone as well, and of course an Aire.
summitraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #5

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Sound like they are pretty bomb I am researching the IKs now. The Tomcat IKs have 1 year warranty. Kinda weird they don't have a 5 year warranty like the rafts do.
nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I had a river couch probably similar to the cheaper ik's. Not at all sure how but most of the fabric in the thwart zipper started to wear out. I had this replaced before selling to a fellow buzzard. But definately not as good of construction as my Aire Cat. For a river couch, fine. I dont know about the construction of the tomcats but wouldnt get anything with a zipper unless it had a fabric piece to protect against wear and tear. A one year warrantee scares me i would think more of a pool toy. Is it no fault warrantee?
Old 05-17-2012   #7

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Talked to boat people and the only issue the bladder is vinly and wears out faster than the urethane and thats why you get one year warranty on the tomcat Ik and 5 or ten on the rafts and other iks.
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
I assume you have checked out the boatpeople.com

To some extent it may a matter of money and how you approach gear. Some folks really like to get better quality gear even if they may never need that bump in quality (or maybe they get it just in case they need it -- insurance). Others like to get by with less expensive gear and maybe take really good care of it so it performs its best.
I see plenty of Trib Tomcats on the Snake River. I know someone who brings his along on multiday trips on, just for example, the Middle Fork of the Salmon -- he does have raft support. Perhaps you could consider your intended use -- do you expect to do multiday trips away from roads? Do you want to do multiday self-support trips where you are on your own if there is some kind of failure? Are you a fix-it type person who can handle a field repair in a remote loaction? Of course, you should be able to do this anyway becasue even a high end IK could have a problem -- but the likelihood of it happening is less with a better quality boat.
Just some things to think about -- and theboatpeople.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #9

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
And don't over inflate.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012   #10

Lawson, Colorado
Hi treemanji-

FYI that there are other Trib threads from years past, and threads for other brands that are less expensive. Note that as I write this, there are 8 replies some positive, some negative.

I'd note that 2 of these replies are from people who actually own the boat and love it. Negative replies are from people who would not consider buying one.

We take medium good care of the boat, it is in great shape. I said before we are starting our 7th season with it...should have said "started" as we've already done a multiday RHT and Upper C runs this season.

Tomcats: don't know why on the warranty, but my neighbor owns a single and tandem. My other neighbor just a single. They have had them a long time, no problems...they clean WW in them too.

There is no question they are of lesser quality than a 10-year AIRE...but keep in mind, AIRE does put their reputation behind them, and for the average weekend and occasional week-long trip you cannot beat them.

Later, EZ
eze420 is offline   Reply With Quote