trailer questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2011   #1

anchorage, Alaska
trailer questions

I have a 14' otter raft and am looking for a trailer. Looking to spend less than 1000. I am pulling the trailer with either a subaru or a wrangler. ( not the best for towing )

I am looking at this right now...

ATV \ Snowmachine Trailer

I will be towing at highway speeds often. Would this work as is or with mods? Do I need a trailer as wide as the boat?

tk421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011   #2

CL post has been deleted.

I would say as wide as the boat is good but only as long as the flat part is needed.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011   #3

Golden, Colorado
I use a medium-duty ATV trailer for my raft gear. I went for small and light because I tow it with my Subaru.

I got full-sized wheels on the trailer (15" rims) and it is by far the highest quality trailer I could find in its class. A friend of mine did a TON of research and he picked the same trailer (from Top Hat Trailers, there is no way you can beat their quality for the price). Don't get a trailer with little wheels and a crappy axle.

If you get an ATV trailer then beware of getting a tilting one with the axle too far forward. They don't work then they are empty... they will be bouncing and catching air as you drive down the road. I got a non-tilting Top Hat and it rides great when it is empty.

I got a little 4X8. The Subaru handles it easily and I can move it around my yard by myself. When it is empty and I accidentally park it with one wheel on the curb I can lift it off and put it in the street by myself.

I keep all my derigged raft stuff in it. If I wanted to I could put the rigged raft on top of the wood rails I made for it, but I wouldn't take it down the highway like that.

Cost was about $900 for the trailer but I had a spare tire holder welded to the trailer, I built nice cedar sides and tailgate capped with TrexDex and put 6 super heavy tiedowns in so my improvements added at least $350 to the cost. Registration/license was over $100.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011   #4

out west, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
I use a medium-duty ATV trailer ............

Cost was about $900 for the trailer but I had a spare tire holder welded to the trailer, I built nice cedar sides and tailgate capped with TrexDex and put 6 super heavy tiedowns in so my improvements added at least $350 to the cost. Registration/license was over $100.
Post up some pics so we can get some good ideas from it.
brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #5
LEAKY

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
i bought a 4x8 kit trailer from harbor freight for $350 complete. I put a deck on it and haul my 18ft raft on it now. its great, and I would suggest it to anyone looking for a raft trailer.
Attached Images

matthewpoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #6

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i have a trailer just like the one above. it's decked with a 6'x12' deck with 8" of storage underneath for oars and jackets. i haul my 14' otter on it no problem. trailer is super light and easy to move around.

if you're not really in anchorage and are instead in colorado, i'm thinking of selling to pick up a trailer that is a little more versatile to use for stuff other than hauling the raft.
Old 08-17-2011   #7

anchorage, Alaska
I am in anchorage. Is there anyway to look at that attached image bigger?
tk421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #8

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk421
I am in anchorage. Is there anyway to look at that attached image bigger?
Yeah bring the phone closer to your eyes
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
You can usually find good information by searching old threads. Here's a thread that shows a whole bunch of trailer concepts (including my own): https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ons-33716.html
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011   #10
Uncle Rico

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
4x8 trailer from Trailer Source, $750 brand new. 3 2x6 boards and a little used carpet. You have a raft trailer and a multi use trailer all in one. Still able to use the trailer for landscaping etc. and can load my raft fully rigged with storage underneath. Pull it with my Element.
rpage is offline   Reply With Quote