Tow Tether? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-07-2010   #1

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Tow Tether?

Looking at tow tethers for kayaking. I tend to boat with alot of new kayakers, so i feel the need for a tow tether. I also think i could make one for alot cheaper then one i could buy.

My only concern is that most all the tethers i have found online are bungee. Is this really necessary??? Or would a 53" piece of .5" webbing and a biner work just fine?

youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I had several bungee and always ended up breaking the bungee function and they ended up being just webbing. I always hated how the boat would pull away and then be pulled back towards you causing slack during a rescue.

I now have an astral jacket and tow and like it much better and its not bungee:

Astral Buoyancy

Given the way they design their system I would think climbing rated webbing and carabiner would work if rigged properly.

Normal safety disclaimer of make sure you understand the equipment as there are some scary stories from tow tethers.......
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
That was my first thought too. What you're describing seems to be how Astral made their tow tether. I have the bungee one and never experienced the "bouncing" problem that people describe when tethered to a boat, but clearly it's an issue for some. I suppose the purpose of the bungee is to have less tether dangling in the water when it is loose. Seems to me like a pretty minor advantage though and how often should your tether be loose dangling in the water anyway.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
I am assuming you are talking about attaching this to a rescue vest with a quick release, right?
Old 01-07-2010   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by gh View Post
I am assuming you are talking about attaching this to a rescue vest with a quick release, right?
Yes. Green jacket.
youngpaddler06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Ben,

I'm putting in an Astral pro order next week. I can add the tether to it if you want. We'll work it out when you get back, just let me know. Astral told me to share the pro form with other guides so it's legit.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
simple webbing will work fine; it is also cheaper and easier to stuff into the astral zip pocket then bungie ones
-Tom
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010   #8
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
I do like the bungie though... guess it'll break soon from what everyone here says.