Thwart Cat - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-29-2010   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Thwart Cat

I've looked all over for something on this and was skunked...

So, I just got a frame from Gary at Rowframe and he asked me what I was going to do with my two thwarts. I said they'll probably sit in a closet. He suggested building a frame for them and making essentially a 'thwart-cat' to bring along raft trips for a little fun. I think Gary's a busy guy because I tried emailing him to pursue this to no avail.

Has anyone done this, made a little cat out of thwarts? If so, any advice and / or photos would be welcome.

Thanks.

RockyMountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010   #2

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Here ya go

Snipe hunt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
That's good fodder... I will post a few pics once my 'thwart cat', aka snipe, is found / made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I gotta think that a thwart cat would be kinda like a squirt boat, 'floating' mostly below the surface. But you could make a 2x4 wood frame, using a 2x10 in back for the seat, use paddles as oars, and some sort of cheap oar stands - like loops of rope coming up through a 4x4 mounted to the side rail.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #5

Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
So after reading this I tried to make one of these yesterday....took my thwarts and lashed them to a drop bag cover (wood planks) and carried it down to the local pond. Unfortunately my thwarts are pretty small (on 36" long and small diameter) so it did not make a stable craft. With my weight it was pretty much all underwater and very tippy.....tried to stand on it and took some nice falls....My wife could sit on it and have it float above water, but it was still very tippy....not something I would want with any type of current, but it made for a fun couple hours splashing around. I could turn in circles pretty well, but very difficult to steer...Perhaps it would work better if your thwarts are longer/fatter..but not for me.
MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010   #6

Carbondale, Colorado
Thanks raftus.

Sounds like at least a good time for you MT Dweller - thanks..

I've got big thwarts - 13.5" x 45" so I think it'll have a good chance of working. But, I think I'll need to sit below the level of the top of the thwarts - that way the thwarts will be wider apart which will also help. I'm saying 18" or so in my attached design. Just need to get down to Lowes and see what I can gather for cheap. Maybe it's just wood...

May need to attach a couple d-rings too we'll see.

I've got a Crazy Creek for a seat, but maybe I'll kneel on a wood platform or build a seat. We'll have to see how this goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thwart_cat.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	2828  
Old 07-06-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
To keep your investment low you might just want to run the straps through holes you drill into the wooden frame and loop them the whole way around the thwarts. Otherwise you are going to need 8 d rings (2 per corner) to hold the thwarts in place. So I am going to change my recommendation from 2x4's for the side rails to 2x8's. The added width should make it easier to get the tubes rigid under the frame and not rotating in or out.

To make the drop down portion of the frame you could use the metal re-enforcement pieces they sell to help hold roofs together - they are cheap and add a lot of strength to joints. You might need to cover them with duct tape or something though - they have sharp edges.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #8

Gallatin Gateway, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by raftus View Post
To keep your investment low you might just want to run the straps through holes you drill into the wooden frame and loop them the whole way around the thwarts. Otherwise you are going to need 8 d rings (2 per corner) to hold the thwarts in place. So I am going to change my recommendation from 2x4's for the side rails to 2x8's. The added width should make it easier to get the tubes rigid under the frame and not rotating in or out.

To make the drop down portion of the frame you could use the metal re-enforcement pieces they sell to help hold roofs together - they are cheap and add a lot of strength to joints. You might need to cover them with duct tape or something though - they have sharp edges.
I did a similar thing when I crafted mine....I just crisscrossed the straps under the thwarts through the slots I had precut to attach the "platform" to my frame when it is used as the dropbag cover/seat. I would try something simple first before purchasing any new equipment and gluing D-rings to see if it will even work for you...Mine could have been more tippy as I used a flat platform over the 2 thwarts....I'd also think about the seat. If you put it too far back you could be looking at flipping over backward...having no backrest would really give you a killer core workout as well...
MT_Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010   #9

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Don't forget to get some video, I don't think photos of this rig will suffice. And please don't post until well into the off season, we'll be hungry by then. Have fune!