Thrillseeker vs. Aire Force? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-31-2016   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
Thrillseeker vs. Aire Force?

Today I called Atilla at Thrillseeker and apparently asked either: a) a stupid question; or, b) an insulting question, when I asked what the advantages of a thrillseeker IK were over an Aire Force. After letting me know that I did not know enough to even ask that question (and this reinforcement of my lack of knowledge was conceded), he indicated that the Aire Force was "not even in the league of [a Thrillseeker]. My question is whether this is true and whether they truly are that much better.

Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016   #2

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Obviously the guy is not a very good sales or customer service person. If the Thrillseeker was superior, he should at least have explained why, but based on the searching I've done, it is not.

I've seen one comparison in more than 1 location and that is the Aire Force handles more like a hardshell kayak, more so than any other IK. The Thrillseeker handles like an IK, but a good quality IK.

Here is a decent thread I found on the subject with a few people with experience with them: Duckie Advice
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'll give Aire credit in at least not ripping of the custom inflatables TS design, like many other "state of the art" boat manufacturers. I think Attila has a little right to be bitter, they did invent the ik after all... my guess is that he had about 100 things better to do with his time than talk ducks. It's a small operation and they've got to get their commercial orders filled. Call Jack @ jpw and ask him why a NRS boat is better or why you should bother buying American, I bet you'll get a similar response.

Anyway, the force is small, if you weigh over 240, it's too small. Really fun downriver ik, doesn't surf well and I don't like the lack of rocker. I've heard the new force has more rocker but I haven't paddled one of those.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016   #4

Sacramento, California
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
I'll give Aire credit in at least not ripping of the custom inflatables TS design, like many other "state of the art" boat manufacturers. I think Attila has a little right to be bitter, they did invent the ik after all... my guess is that he had about 100 things better to do with his time than talk ducks. It's a small operation and they've got to get their commercial orders filled. Call Jack @ jpw and ask him why a NRS boat is better or why you should bother buying American, I bet you'll get a similar response.

Anyway, the force is small, if you weigh over 240, it's too small. Really fun downriver ik, doesn't surf well and I don't like the lack of rocker. I've heard the new force has more rocker but I haven't paddled one of those.
The Force has a decent amount of rocker, it's the Force XL that doesn't.
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #5
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
The Force is a better boat. I've paddled both a lot and much prefer it for its handling and it's stiff floor - the Thrillseeker floor is dumb.

I'm not an "Aire guy" and would prefer the force if it were simply single-walled welded PVC or urethane. However it is the best performance IK that exists today IMO. I weigh 160 and am an experienced paddler for what it's worth.

I don't know Atilla personally, but we have mutual friends and I'll respect him enough not to bash him here - but I guarantee if you call Aire you'll get a friendly, knowledgeable response to your question.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #6

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I hate to hear this....I literally, 5 minutes ago, told a friend to call him about his old custom inflatables rafts. I always heard that he was a good and helpful guy.

I'm betting K2 is spot on. It's definitely a tiny operation, he's probably in the middle of filling his commercial orders and just caught him on a bad day.

With that said, I really like the thrillseekers and would love to have one. These guys were "the first" and really did some groundbreaking things.

Go to Youtube and watch "Token of my Extreme" I think it is...watch them put those things through the ringer and remember this was pretty much "back in the day"...(hope its the right video, I'm too lazy to check)
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #7

Front Range, Colorado
Thrillseeker

Iíve paddled both the force and the thrill seeker and I ended up buying the thrill seeker. IMO the thrill seeker performs more like a kayak. With the continuous rock it can punch holes and I can still do 360ís in a hole. It ferries well and can even front surf some waves.

I found the force to be pretty unstable side to side and did not have the performance of the thrill seeker. With the firm floor, you sit pretty high in the force. Your center of gravity is higher.

I run everything from lower volume creeks to rivers and the thrill seeker floor has performed great on both.

My only grip with the thrill seeker is the build quality. 1st 2 seasons I shipped it back to repair a minor delam and a broken buckle.

Every time I spoke with Atilla, he was very helpful and answered my questions. I think you caught him on a bad day.

Either way, I donít think you can go wrong.

PS the thrill seeker comes with a beer holder in the foot block
iSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #8
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I can only speak about my experience with the Thrillseeker and Attila. My wife had been paddling a Sevylor River XDS K1 and loved how it handled but wanted more rocker and faster draining. She called Attila with the measurements of the Sevylor and he spent more than two hours on the phone designing her perfect Thrillseeker. She was hesitant to buy a longer boat, she's only 5'1", but he explained waterline and she trusted his professional opinion and ended up with a boat a foot and a half longer that handles like the Sevylor.

I was very impressed with the quality and felt his price was very reasonable for a custom IK so I called him with my design for a paddlecat (one person, kayak paddle) which was similar to some of his ThrillKats. He built me exactly what I wanted and it is a blast!

In both cases, we spoke with him in January/February and had a clear idea of what we hoped he could build and he came through. It took about 5 months to get my paddlecat but Attila made sure I had it in time to flip in Upper Disaster Falls last May.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #9

plainfield, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1995
both are good stuff

I have paddled both, and a hard shell, but have a crappy pool roll at best from a back injury, so when the going gets hairy, I am in an older force XL. I love the boat, and it is comfy (with the addition of a cheetah chair) but has no real storage for gear (I use a sea-kayak deck bag over the back) and I was unimpressed with the foot bag, so I retrofitted yakima style foot pegs. The boat has given me 0 issues, and is really easy to get back into even in dicey stuff. I have front and back surfed it, and it is fantastic to creek in. It is very easy to hit a micro eddy, and hop out running with a throw bag when needed.

It does take a moment to drain after big stuff, and does not have a ton of rocker, but, I would be hard pressed to part with mine. I am 6"2", 230
jerseyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #10

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
I have no experience with a TS, but can vouch strongly for the Force XL. I owned one for about a year and a half and it handled great in everything upto 3+. I am sure it would work in 4s too but never got a chance to try it out.

Like someone posted before you can't go wrong with either, and definitely not with the FXL. I can also recommend the Strike which is a bit cheaper but almost as good.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote