thoughts on the WS Forplay? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-24-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
thoughts on the WS Forplay?

anyone have any input on the Forplay as a beginner boat? I've been combing CL and this forum for a good boat on a very limited budget, and most of what I'm finding are old creekers with a displacement hull, or older playboats. I'd prefer a river runner, but with limited means, would the forplay be forgiving enough for a newbie?

WetExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011   #2
gh

pnw, Colorado
Its an old slicy design and not to comfy on the feet. Maybe you should tell us your budget and how much the forplay is so we can guide you farther. Reasoning is, I wouldnt tell anyone to search for a forplay as a bigger boat but if its available for $100 then that changes my thoughts.
Old 10-24-2011   #3

Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
Lowball, all those people on CL, eventually someone will give you a deal.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2011   #4

Denver, Colorado
he's selling the boat, along with paddle, skirt, helmet, and a few otherr extras for $250.

I'm just on the fence as to whether I should take the deal, or hold out for a true river runner.
Old 10-24-2011   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
I've got an RPM max you can have for $150, includes paddle, skirt and old skool helmet.
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
What is CL? Have you sat in a Forplay? I know for myself this boat would be too uncomfortable for me to paddle, but if you're shorter it may be ok. It's old technology and I'll bet the accompanying gear isn't much better. Offer $150 and see if you get a deal otherwise hold out for a better boat.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #7

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
What is CL? Have you sat in a Forplay? I know for myself this boat would be too uncomfortable for me to paddle, but if you're shorter it may be ok. It's old technology and I'll bet the accompanying gear isn't much better. Offer $150 and see if you get a deal otherwise hold out for a better boat.

CL is just my shorthand for craigslist. Thanks for the info, I think I'll hold out for a better boat. I haven't sat it the forplay, I'm mostly just worried about learning curve as a newbie..
Old 10-24-2011   #8

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemsip View Post
I've got an RPM max you can have for $150, includes paddle, skirt and old skool helmet.
I appreciate the offer, might be too big for me tho. I'm 5'10, 170. I'll send you a pm.
Old 10-24-2011   #9

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Loved my old fourplay. I used it for river running all the time. 170 lbs might be on the heavy side. But stay out of the class 5 shit, be willing to swim, and that boat will learn you real good.
dirtbagkayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011   #10
CGM

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
That boat is an absolute POS. It was when it came out, and its an even bigger one now. Not trying to push you to something more modern, or more expensive....aside from being an all around crappy boat, it would be an even crappier boat for a beginner.
There's other boats/boat packages out there that are better suited for a beginner. Keep looking.