Thoughts on minimalist oar frame? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-08-2010   #1

Indianapolis, Indiana
Thoughts on minimalist oar frame?

I have a litttle 10.5' SOTAR sb raft and have been thinking about buying or building a frame. Uses would be for taking the kids on easy I-II runs and also solo runs, all purely day trips so safety gear/food only.

How minimal can I go? My thoughts were 2 crossbars in the rear, 18in or so apart with a padded plywood deck or a tractor seat and the side bars extending long enough along the tubes for the oar towers. I was thinking of trying to not have a front crossbar so the kids can sit on the thwart and not have a bar to accidently slam into. The when going solo I can just strap it down more towards the center. The frame isn't providing structural support for the raft (I would be keeping the thwarts in) and I really don't need a kick bar, so does this sound like it would work?

Haven't decided on a type of construction yet, still going through the options there.

bellotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010   #2

Rockingham, North Carolina
I float Alaska rivers each year. Remote, bush plane fly in rivers. I needed a lightweight and small frame. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and I will forward you some pics and tell you more about the frame I have.

-Dan
danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #3

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Here's my 10' NRS raft with a steel frame that might give you an idea of a frame. I bought the frame used and cut it down to fit my raft (was made to fit 12-14 foot rafts) and I removed the foot bar setup to save on weight/space. I now have plywood on the the front of the frame for a bench. It's not the lightest setup and can't be broken down, but for $100 and a few hours of work it can't be beat. I like that I can use it with or without the thwarts. The seat is removable.

Picture:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/m...icture821.html
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010   #4

How's this for minimalist?

Star Inflatables rafts and kayaks. Inflatable fishing boats, inflatable rafts and inflatable kayaks. Paddle rafts, Bug Series, row frames and accessories by Star Inflatables. - StarInflatables

or you could build the same thing with local tubing and Hollaender fittings.

1-1/2" IPS
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #5

Idaho, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellotti View Post
I have a litttle 10.5' SOTAR sb raft and have been thinking about buying or building a frame. Uses would be for taking the kids on easy I-II runs and also solo runs, all purely day trips so safety gear/food only.

How minimal can I go? My thoughts were 2 crossbars in the rear, 18in or so apart with a padded plywood deck or a tractor seat and the side bars extending long enough along the tubes for the oar towers. I was thinking of trying to not have a front crossbar so the kids can sit on the thwart and not have a bar to accidently slam into. The when going solo I can just strap it down more towards the center. The frame isn't providing structural support for the raft (I would be keeping the thwarts in) and I really don't need a kick bar, so does this sound like it would work?

Haven't decided on a type of construction yet, still going through the options there.

i've also built a couple of frames for small boats using some of the ideas you have. as far as extending the side rails long enough for oarstands but not having a front cross bar- it helps to have fastening points (ie d-rings) both inside and out for the front of the frame. this will secure the open end of the frame from any lateral movement and prevent you from bending the "unbendable" tubing. i also found that it helped (in my case i was using a tractor seat) to extend the side rails rearward slightly as well, to prevent the back of the frame from wheeling into the tubes. i can send you some photos and more details as well if you'd like.
billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #6

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
I have a pic. of my frame posted. Its different than anyone else. Weight is less then 16 lbs. and is bomb proof. I mad it to be carryed into the Gunny George or in a plane in Alaska.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #7

Indianapolis, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by John the welder View Post
I have a pic. of my frame posted. Its different than anyone else. Weight is less then 16 lbs. and is bomb proof. I mad it to be carryed into the Gunny George or in a plane in Alaska.
John, that is a lot like what I had in mind. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 02-09-2010   #8

Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
I have made a few of these for rafters around here. All aluminum execpt the seat is honeycomb glass material. We carry our boats and frame into the Gunny so weight is very important. They also break down to fit into an airplane for Alaska.
John the welder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010   #9

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
2 bay 16 lb aluminum frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellotti View Post

Try Rowframe.Com
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010   #10

Indianapolis, Indiana
Here's what I ended up with. I ordered the parts from Gary (rowframe.com). The oars are 7.5' polecats.

Center mounted for solo

Rear mounted for when the kids tag along

Now I just need to get it on the water and see if it works.