The Right Dry Box NRS? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-31-2011   #1

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
The Right Dry Box NRS?

In researching I found most threads on the topic are about one year old. Does anyone have any other info about dry box quality. NRS sells them for quite a bit less ($50 to over $100 less) than others do. Think this may be the one to buy, NRS does sell quality, any thoughts comparisons are aprreciated.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011   #2

up in them thar hills, Colorado
Paddling Since: 07
look at - frontierplay.com - really good prices, Ihave one and like it!!!!!!
CO.rafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #3

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Frontierplay hinges are poor and there latches are sharp and will pop open easily unless you lock them. But I agree they are cheap

My last drybox was from Andy and Bax and I think maybe a recretec. It's 13" deep a reqt for my cat frame so I can row on the box. Otherwise the seating would be too elevated for the approximate 11 inch drop of mrs frames. It has adjustable seat plate mounted on the top. Overall quality seems much better than frontier plays
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011   #4

North Denver, Colorado
In researching other threads it sounds like frontier boxes have some issues. I am looking for any differences in AAA, DRE and NRS boxes. They all seem well built and similar in specs, the first two are considerably more expensive than NRS, I am curious why.
Old 01-31-2011   #5

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicho View Post
In researching other threads it sounds like frontier boxes have some issues. I am looking for any differences in AAA, DRE and NRS boxes. They all seem well built and similar in specs, the first two are considerably more expensive than NRS, I am curious why.
I'm guessing its because the NRS box is probably fabricated in Mexico. Call around and find out.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I bought a custom Cambridge box last spring. It wasn't even remotely water tight brand new, upside down in the bathtub. I "returned" it, and instead got one from Recretech, which did pass the bathtub test. (shout out for awesome Cascade outfitters customer service) The lids are different, Cambridge being a "shoebox" type which I think is less rigid/sound, and the Recretech is a boxed lid (meaning the lid is a little box itself). It may be unrelated, but this is what I think.

I also got a Mojave drybox from NRS, pretty cheap and I'm excited to use it on my cat, and as a 2nd drybox on the raft. It's much smaller, and while I'm a big fan of the gamma lids, I think it is esp important to put everything inside it in it's own plastic bag. I think that goes for any drybox, if it MUST stay dry, plastic bag it.
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #7

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
The DRE boxes are custom made to your exact dimension so yeah it will be more expensive than the mail order one size fits all boxes made in Chinese slave labor camps. Remember you will still need to pay shipping on the mail order boxes. I am a very happy with the quality of my DRE box. You live in Denver so you should go over there and see what they can do on the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicho View Post
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #8

Albany, Oregon
RecreTec built the dry boxes for NRS for many many years however they have dropped us because of price now. We cannot build them for what they want to pay. They have copied our design which is the best one but even when we were building the boxes for them they did not get everything done to them that we do standard on all the others. NRS only offers two sizes of boxes and therefore buy hundreds of boxes of the same size per year and get such a discount on them that they can sell them for much less. We offer over 20 different sizes at only 2 prices through any of our 30+ dealers or directly from us. Our boxes are the best hands down and we stand behind what we build right here in Oregon as green as we possibly can while paying a living wage to our very valued employees!! This is the main reason they cost more.
RecreTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #9

North Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the info, I buy U.S. as much as possible. Just checked out the site. While researching dry boxes is the first I have heard of Recretec. I like the bear resisitant factor of these boxes.
Old 01-31-2011   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I had Dave Nissen (madcatr.com) make a box a few years ago that was 29x15x16. Ordered over the phone, top notch and exceeded my expectations. It was $50 less than what NRS is charging currently for their 36" box. I would imagine Dave's prices will be very competative, at least it was a couple years ago.
P.s. also have a Frontier Play box, won't get another
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote