the best back support for cooler sitters - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-20-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
the best back support for cooler sitters

Just found this chair at sport authority. it is absolutely perfect for strapping to a cooler and giving you real deal chair level back support- not crappy crazy creek style support that moves, and never feels supportive. But, it is also easily removed and stowed away if you don't want it (pull out for flatwater sections?) its so structurally sound that you really don't need to strap it down in flat sections. folds nice and small too.

Customized Stadium Chairs from Stadium Chair Company

I've tried all the options for an over the cooler rowing chair- DRE and AAA flip brackets, DRE mesh chair, crazy creek etc... I loved the DRE meshie, but it was huge to put in the car or a sail on top of the car (I 'm a roll and go guy), the flip bracket is nice, but had its issues too (not removable, need a cooler underneath, or if it is a self supported bracket (dre) you only have one width for the bay. sometimes for simplicity I just want to sit on the cooler or not bring a seat for weight reasons, and have the seat vanish away. couldn't do that with the other options.

The chair is made of super tough welded tube steel, has a DRE-like laced seat system, has a perfectly placed welded crossbar that allows for easy strapping to a cooler or platform, has a thick, bomber looking rubber gripper on the bottom that really grips the cooler once strapped, has the only real deal back support I have found in any detachable, folding option, was $35 at sports authority, and best of all, I just found that I can order one in Packer colors!

check it out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000587.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	330.0 KB
ID:	3981   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000588.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	3982  

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011   #2
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
54lbs packaged weight? WTF!
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #3

Denver, Colorado
don't know where that comes from. it weighs 7.8lbs on my kitchen scale.

(edit) Oh- I get it. the website says the minimum order is 6 pieces, so that weight is for 6 chairs.

this site has them singly for $35. is you scroll down it looks like you can get an attachment that makes it a regular camp chair- two purposes for everything?

http://soccer.epicsports.com/prod/10...10-colors.html

http://soccer.epicsports.com/prod/10...um-chairs.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2011   #4
The Russian

SLC, Utah
On the link you provided says 54lbs.

7.8lbs that's a totally different story. Are you strapping it down to the cooler then?
Old 09-20-2011   #5

Denver, Colorado
I took it out on the Upper C this weekend, and strapped it to the cooler. super comfy. I used a loop strap that was wound around the chair's crossbar once or twice. Very solid connection- I would have no qualms about keeping it on thru rapids.

We were going in and out of the cooler, so I just stopped strapping it, and the grippers on the bottom were fine. Ran eye of needle unstrapped- but only because I forgot to strap it. if you don't end up using it for a captains seat, it is perfect respite for passengers with sore backs from sitting on pacos and coolers. Luckily my wife was in an action seat or she would have taken it for herself. To me, its actually as comfy and supportive as an action seat- if not more (no flex or butt sweat from vinyl seat issues)

God I sound like a salesman. Definitely no interest in the company other than I can't believe I never have to sit on a crazy creek again.

Come on Alex, you have the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) as bad as I do! you know you'll get one BTW- thanks again for the tent tip- love that big agnes...
Old 09-20-2011   #6
The Russian

SLC, Utah
I was thinking of getting it for my wife up front. I still use my cheapo fishing chair and loving it.
Old 09-20-2011   #7
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Oh ya, I am loving that tent. Not sure how it will be in strong winds or very cold nights, but for spring/summer family trips that tent rocks. I went through 4 tents before I found this one.
Old 09-20-2011   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Ducky thwart as lumbar support.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011   #9

Denver, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Frank View Post
Ducky thwart as lumbar support.
yeah- the thwarts work pretty well too- the ladies in my avatar like them on the front platform for relaxin', but since your in the area, next time your around a sport authority you gotta check these things out, you might change your mind

for me, I have to lay pretty far back to get support with a thwart, and this chair hits me way higher up in my back kinda like low back vs high back tractor seats.

But then again, I'm 6' tall with a 30" inseam. all torso baby!
Old 09-21-2011   #10

Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Whoapiglet, is the underside of the seat kind enough to sit it on top of a paco up front? Or would it tear up or puncture the paco do you think?
melissawd is offline   Reply With Quote