Talk me out of a LL Alpha - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-05-2019   #1

Lebanon, Oregon
Paddling Since: '03
Talk me out of a LL Alpha

I'm 5'8" 185lbs. I've been paddling a Remix 69 on Oregon 2/3 for a year and a half. I'm starting to paddle some 4's, and have been thinking that I have some need for a creeker. I'd like to get something with more volume, more rocker, and maybe see what a little bit of edge is all about. I'd been thinking that my sweet spot would be 80-85 gallons. I assumed 90+ would be too much boat for me... but when I look at boats in that 80-85 gallon range, like a Waka Stout, I'm right at the very top of the weight range. I love LL outfitting. The Alpha seems to have everything I want... but it comes in 75 and 90 gallons. 75 isn't adding much volume, and 90 seems like it might be too much. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Would I be better off in something like a M Machno? I'm not going to be doing any racing (though I dig the speed of my remix), and I'm not looking to run Class V stouts. I want something that will inspire confidence at the top of intimidating IV's this winter in the PNW, as I start to push my envelope. Obviously, very few people have paddled the Alpha who aren't affiliated with LL, but would a boat like that (aggressive bow rocker, kick stern rocker, long as shit) really offer much to your AVERAGE boater. I've been wondering if you need an ear-dip boof, and olympic-caliber boating skill to really get something out of these race designs. Any insight would be appreciated.

Blarneystoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I would base my decision on whether or not the Alpha will use turbo boosters in the stern.

I think the new style creekboats are a significant improvement and haven't had any interest in regressing back to the bigger tanks.
KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019   #3

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
But the "badass outfitting" will likely still be BAD ass outfitting. So there's that. Isn't it going to be just like a 9R or Nirvana or Nomad or Tuna or whatever? Aren't they basically all the same minus different colors and different outfitting?
Blade&Shaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019   #4

Lebanon, Oregon
KSC, turbo booster comment made me laugh. Not a lot of love for the Delta V... and I think a lot of the reason is the gimmicky nature of marketing those cutouts as performance enhancing. Flying Squirrel is now discontinued. I'd guess they spent a lot of time working on the Alpha, because I don't know how many more 'ehh' boats they can afford to make.

Blade&Shaft, I happen to really like LL outfitting... but yes, the boat seems to share a lot characteristics with a Tuna, Nirvana, etc... and that's why I'm soliciting opinions from people on this style of creeker, even though no one's really paddled the boat in question.
Old 09-05-2019   #5

Durango, Colorado
I got the opportunity to paddle the 90 last week in OKC. Paddles pretty similar to a Nirvana MD I felt. Got to paddle a prototype of the 75 last season as well. At your weight I would definitely go with the 90.
storm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019   #6

Iím highly anticipating the Nirtuna new9Ralph. From what Iíve read itís supposed to be the best of all of the boats combined. Spring 2030. Canít wait.
Old 09-05-2019   #7
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
At 5' 8" and 185# you're going to want the 90 gallon boat vs the 75. I'm surprised you enjoy the remix 69 so much, the 79 seems a little more appropriate. I am also 185, but a little taller, and loved the remix 79.

The aggressive rocker of the newest creekboats is great. If you already prefer the LL outfitting then go for it. You should consider moving the seat forward if it doesn't feel perfect after a few days.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019   #8

Lebanon, Oregon
Storm and Tango, thank you very much for your feedback.

Blade&Shaft, suck a bag of dicks ya fucking troll.
Old 09-05-2019   #9

Thanks for contributing!
Old 09-05-2019   #10

Lebanon, Oregon
Come on dude. Really? I asked a gear question. You're gonna tell me: it's not the boat, it's the boater? All these new boats are the same? Both those statements may be fundamentally true... especially the former... but that's neither here, nor there, is it? And you're certainly not contributing any information on this specific thread. Sure, Dane Jackson can paddle a couch down Dinkey Creek, better than I can a Remix down the Clackamas. And I can pound a nail in with a rock... but that doesn't mean a hammer isn't a better tool for the job.

So... thank YOU for contributing. [read: find something better to do than troll mountainbuzz threads]