Table top adhesive? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-20-2012   #1
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Table top adhesive?

Any nIdeas on how to glue a rubber flooring product( like the material on the cambridge tables but thicker) to the top of a MDF table blank. I have a couple of blanks and I am coating the bottoms to make them waterproof but, I want to kake sure the table top gets glued on solid and water proof.
2 part epoxy? Something from Lowes? Bueller?

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012   #2

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
I glued formica to plywood for my table top.I used contact cement.No problems in 5 years. Also I cut some stall matting rubber for my front passenger to sit on and protect the top of the table.We use the rubber mats on the floor of my 156r as floor mats when the table is in camp.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #3

Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Trust me on this, you don't want to use MDF for your top in a wet enviroment. Water will gain access through some place and it will turn into a mass of wood pulp. There is no practical way to waterproof MDF enough to avoid this. A marine or exterior grade plywood is a much better way to go.
fishnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012   #4
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
agree with fishnut. twice the weight and half the strength and any knick in the finish will introduce water. For backyard use it would be fine. On the river not so much.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #5

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
WARNING: Stupid question to follow...

Is marine plywood impregnated with water-proofing-ness not just coated?
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1

Among other things the glue is waterproof
Old 02-21-2012   #7

Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post

Marine plywood has no voids in the laminations,the glue is the same as any exterier plywood.So for a table top don't waste money on marine plywood,cover it with uathane spar varnish.
jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #8
Boy Howdy!

Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Ok ixnay on the perfect table blanks that fit over the bays, off to the hardware store to order a sheet of marine plywood.
Thanks for the info.
Any one need a table top?
Old 02-21-2012   #9

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Oh a controversy... Here is what I found on eHow:

Differences in the Marine Plywood Manufacturing Process
Waterproof wood is necessary for marine use since standard plywood grades rot after exposure to moisture. The lumber used in marine plywood differs somewhat from regular plywood. In addition to Douglas fir, spruce and cedar, marine plywood suitable for boat and dock construction is made from long-leaf yellow pine, cypress, western larch, and eucalyptus. The main difference in construction is that the surfaces of the plies are better smoothed so as to reduce the "voids," the micro-spaces in between layers, to tightly adhering joints that do not let destructive moisture in. The adhesive is once again the water-resistant phenol-formaldehyde resin used in exterior-grade plywood. All parameters of finishing, grinding and cutting are done with closer tolerances than standard plywood, accounting for the very high cost of marine plywood.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #10

Evergreen, Colorado
More information on plywood:

Quote:
Marine Ply vs Exterior Ply
Marine Plywood and Exterior Plywood have a few minor differences. Both products use the same adhesiveto bind the layers. The biggest differences have to do with the plies. Marine plywood is not supposed to have any voids in the plies where as exterior grade plywood often will have voids within the plies up to 1.5" in diameter. Also, exterior plywood usually has fewer plies than marine grade. This is especially true in CDX grade of plywood. For 3/4" nominal material CDX has 5 plies, ACX has 7 plies and marine plywood has 7-9 plies depending on the manufacturer. I would not recommend using CCA treated plywood for any boating projects. It is almost always CD grade and is VERY heavy because it is sealed with CCA compound. It also is not save to have around food and splinters from treated plywood are toxic. Stick with higher grades of exterior grade or marine plywood for the best results.

FWIW, I work for a lumber yard and I am often asked to get marine plywood for clients. In Colorado it is only available in 3/4" paper coated (the exterior finish is actually a paper product). IT goes for about $100 a sheet compared to about $35 a sheet for ACX.

Dan
Taken from this thread: https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ood-35116.html
gwheyduke is offline   Reply With Quote