Sweet Rocker vs WRSI helmets? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2007   #1
V for Victory

9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
Sweet Rocker vs WRSI helmets?

Sweet Rockers and WRSI helmets seem to be the only helmets I've seen that offer the greatimpact absorption in addition to the impact dissipation that kayak helmets offer. The WRSI is darn near two helmets, one inside the other. Similarly, the Rocker has enough absorption capability to pass and probably exceed CE EN 1077 (downhill skiing helmet standard).

But which offers better protection? Is the Rocker really worth paying 3X as much $$$?

For comparison's sakes lets compare the WRSI to the Rocker hc LE... or the WRSI + EPS to the S1 fc LE

S1 hc LE

WRSI

S1 fc

WRSI + EPS

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I took a swift water rescue class a few weeks ago and the instructor recommended both helmets. He had a Rocker but said he bought it before the WRSI's came out and would probably by a WRSI if he had it to do again simply for the price point. He didn't feel there was a significant difference in safety. Just incase your wondering I put my money where my mouth was and bought a WRSI this last weekend.
Old 08-02-2007   #3
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Rocker fullcut has ear coverage, WRSI has less ear/temple coverage. I haven't seen that EPS before, but it doesn't look nearly as bomber to me. I think that's a big difference. Also I think attaching a face mask to WRSI is problem. Can't argue about the outrageous price of Sweets though.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2007   #4

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
I have a Sweet Strutter and Rocker and I love them both. That being said I have also cracked them both. That being said I am still here with no brain damage beyond what I had coming into the sport and they are the most comfortable helmets out there. That being said I probably won't buy another until they sponsor me cause they ain't cheap. That being said my next helmet will probably be the WRSI.
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #5

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
I was out on WRSI's web page a couple days ago and they say they have a face mask coming out soon. Something I do think some people would like that WRSI doesn't have yet is a bigger brim. But you can buy that after market and still be $200 cheaper then a rocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Rocker fullcut has ear coverage, WRSI has less ear/temple coverage. I haven't seen that EPS before, but it doesn't look nearly as bomber to me. I think that's a big difference. Also I think attaching a face mask to WRSI is problem. Can't argue about the outrageous price of Sweets though.
Old 08-02-2007   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
helmets

I have a WRSI helmet. My only knock on it is my rabbit ears just touch the edge of the helmet so I have to keep pushing them up under the edge of the retention system. Not a big problem as they seem to stay there once I get them in. I think the Sweet is more comfortable but I would be hard pressed to shell out that kind of $$. If kayaking were my only sport I might do it but I am helmet poor (ski,bicycle,motorcycle....). My WRSI is pink and the UV is fading the paint. I talked to a rep and mentioned the ear issue and she conceded it was a common complaint and she led me to believe there was a redesign coming to address that.

Here is my use report:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...-me-14613.html
Old 08-02-2007   #7
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
i have a wrsi and it has saved my beautiful head on numerous occasions. its functional, fashionable, and fits well, cant speek enuff good things about it
Old 12-04-2010   #8
John Nestler

Richmond, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2008
There's no arguing that the WRSI is much cheaper than the Sweet Rocker, and it provides the same amount of impact absorption (if not more). The issue with me was fit. The WRSI seems to sit on top of the head and isn't quite as secure as the head hugging Rocker.

I own both, and recently cracked the Rocker so I got to wear the WRSI for a bit and compare my experiences in both. The WRSI is virtually indestructible, so it's a bargain of a helmet. If it fits your head snugly go for it, otherwise the Rocker might be the way to go. And of course I'm leaving looks out of this.
Quote:
I have a Sweet Strutter and Rocker and I love them both. That being said I have also cracked them both. That being said I am still here with no brain damage beyond what I had coming into the sport and they are the most comfortable helmets out there. That being said I probably won't buy another until they sponsor me cause they ain't cheap. That being said my next helmet will probably be the WRSI.
Another consideration would be warranty. I mentioned the WRSI is hard to break, so that may not be a big issue. But be reassured that Sweet is on their game with customer service. I contacted them and was able to get a warranty Rocker, even a size up at my request. You might not get the same story with other manufacturers. Read more about the Sweet Rocker warranty on my blog.
Fluid Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010   #9

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Fit is crucial, I had a WRSI and just couldn't get it to fit my funny shaped head. I put the Rocker on and it was perfect...had a half cut rocker and got a full face this year.

BTW I just got the new paddlesports buyer's guide in the mail from Kayak Session. It shows a new helmet from WRSI with a solid face guard and a larger brim (looks a lot like the Rocker Full Face). They call it the "Moment"

Not sure when these will be available, but it could be another great creeking option.
Old 12-04-2010   #10

Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
I started paddling with WRSI helmets. I recently moved to Sweet for comfort reasons. I took some real hard hits with the WRSI, and never had anything, but a hurt neck. The helmet held up great, and I have no complaints. I bought a Sweet Wanderer, and a Rocker Full Face. No doubt a great helmet, looks great, and comfort is top notch. Unless you get them on an end of the season sale they are super pricey. I lucked out, and picked up my Rocker from 4Corners for $270.00. I know Nick Turner the guy that owns WRSI. He is a great guy, fellow padder, and safety is his first priority. The choice is up to how much you want to spend, and comfort, not safety.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote