Sweet Rocker "refitting"... - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-07-2014   #1

Rexburg, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2007
Sweet Rocker "refitting"...

So fellas, here's my deal: I have a big head. I like to do Class V boating. Full face helmets that fit are hard to come by. I've found that I fit into Shred Ready Standards okay if I remove the pads and do some "custom" fitting with really thin pads from the craft store. I really want a Sweet Rocker FF, though, because it is obviously a superior helmet, and, call me crazy but I like feeling like my head is safe when I boat the bigger stuff. The problem is, I bought a Rocker last year and unfortunately it was too tight, even with the padding removed. I tried on a buddy's Rocker from 2012 and it fit perfectly, which really bugged me because Sweet made their helmets smaller last year... but, that's not the problem.

The question I'm asking is this; how safe/smart is it to perhaps sand down some of the EPP foam padding in a Rocker so that it would fit my head? Now, I wouldn't need to remove much since the fit is close, but as they are the Rockers are just too tight on me. Logistically, I would need to remove the soft padding then reattach it after I sanded some of the EPP down. Has anyone ever done this before? I don't want to ruin a $350 helmet, but I also really don't want to take a hard hit in my Shred Ready. Going with the Carbon Deluxe version of the SR's is out of the question, since I owned one that cracked on the first hit, making me completely lose my confidence in that particular design. Anyone have expereince with "refitting" a Rocker or other helmets?

Lando_Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
I've done a very little bit on a SR tdub (yeah, I've got a big damn head). I took the liner out, sanded just a bit from the "outside" in a couple key spots, then glued it back in- figured that was easier than dealing with the soft layer on the inside. Granted, the liner was loose (think from chlorine at kayak polo sessions), so getting it out was easy. I was removing just enough to make the fit a little more comfortable on long days.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #3

Rexburg, Idaho
Cool! Did you run into any issues getting the padding back in/sanding too much? I know the Sweet is going to be a bit different but I just want to know what's what before I do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014   #4

Jackson, Wyoming
No trouble at all really- I suspect the hardest part might be getting the liner out to begin with. Like I said, I didn't really think of it until it was about to fall out anyway. As far as getting it back in, it was no problem. I just put it in without glue and made sure i had it in the right place and took enough out, then put in a little dab on H2 glue in the front and back. If I remember right, there was a glued spot right in the top originally (could see the glue spot in the shell), but all it really has to do is keep it from sliding around- its not like the liner is going to escape while you have it on. I'm planning on having to do this on my next helmet, and will just do it when new. When you're at the big end of getting anything that fits, there just no room left to make that fit custom, like everyone else can do with the little pads. As far as safety, I think as long as it is minimal- just making a little bit of extra room in the places you need it- any effect on safety is worth the trade. Its not like there is a huge cushioning effect on these helmets for the most part. All they can do is spread the impact a little, and keep the pointy bits from getting to your brain.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014   #5

x, x
Paddling Since: x
I've modifyed the FF rocker in a few ways. I too have a big head and needed more room.

The first thing I did was cut the plastic forhead shim out with a razor blade, the second thing I did was cut out all the foam in the head liner, front and back of helmet.
It still fit tight, so it was time to remove the head band tentioner.

Sweet changed the headband tentioner last year, you mentioned this. So I ask, If you are trying to fit the l/xl helmet with all padding removed and the headband tentioner still in the helmet?

On the new models, you can remove the padded headband tentioner pad, the foam pad thinggy from the tentioner. the rubber strap is velcro'd to the foam. This will give you tons of room with the tentioner still on the helmet.

try this before you sand any foam, just to see, maybe you have already.

Also. I had to remove my tentioner from the helmet. I know it voided the warranty when I drilled out the rivets, but I gutted the foam as well, so...

Anyhow, It has been fine for two seasons and I just bought and modifyed a brand new green one the same way, but I'm still using the old one.

I've had a few head shots, I paddle a lot of class IV
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014   #6

Rexburg, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
I've modifyed the FF rocker in a few ways. I too have a big head and needed more room.

The first thing I did was cut the plastic forhead shim out with a razor blade, the second thing I did was cut out all the foam in the head liner, front and back of helmet.
It still fit tight, so it was time to remove the head band tentioner.

Sweet changed the headband tentioner last year, you mentioned this. So I ask, If you are trying to fit the l/xl helmet with all padding removed and the headband tentioner still in the helmet?

On the new models, you can remove the padded headband tentioner pad, the foam pad thinggy from the tentioner. the rubber strap is velcro'd to the foam. This will give you tons of room with the tentioner still on the helmet.

try this before you sand any foam, just to see, maybe you have already.

Also. I had to remove my tentioner from the helmet. I know it voided the warranty when I drilled out the rivets, but I gutted the foam as well, so...

Anyhow, It has been fine for two seasons and I just bought and modifyed a brand new green one the same way, but I'm still using the old one.

I've had a few head shots, I paddle a lot of class IV
Nice! Very glad to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. I work for a shop so I'm going to buy one in a couple months when they get the 2014 shipment. Mind if I email you for more details when I get mine? Since the 2012 models fit, I've posted a few ads looking for a used one (my friend is willing to trade his to me, too), but in case that doesn't work out I will do some Frankensteining on a new one.

Oh, have you sent an email to Sweet telling them they need to make larger helmets? I did. I figure if enough of us do this they might listen. Anyway, thanks man!