Super Paco or El Grande? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2010   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Super Paco or El Grande?

When I was guiding most of us used the large pacos we provided the custies because we were too poor/cheap to buy our own. I never had the luxury of a Super or El Grande.

The Super is 2" thick but larger than standard (28"X78"). The Grande is 3" thick but standard size (27"x72"). Grande retails for about $35 more than the Super. Anyone have a strong opinion?

JHimick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010   #2

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
3" no question.

I have a 3" single and a 2" double (aka 'truck size'). The 3" is much more comfortable. Part of the difference is the foam. The 3" is soft foam and the 2" is hard foam.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010   #3

Golden, CO
Paddling Since: 1856
The Grande is more comfortable with 3 inches of soft foam. Also the 72 inch length will fit in the bed of a pickup truck.
FrankC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2010   #4

Jenks, Oklahoma
Get the 3 inch unit.
It is much more comfortable. You can do a double roll and get the size way down. I do some tandem canoe camping with a bud and this roll will stuff just right up into the bow area.

I have the 3 inch and use it on trips where I am not rowing. This unit makes for great sleeping over any 2 or 2 1/2 thick pad I have ever had.

I also have a 4 inch silverback at least ten years old and that thing is just like sleeping in a home bed. When I am rowing that is the one I take. The ultimate in comfort. In the summer trips I sleep out under the stars often, just throw out the pad and relax. Watch out for thorns in the desert areas but sleeping on solid rock is just not a problem.

I have used the dickens out of mine and they still work like a charm. JPW genuine Paco pads are very expensive but man do they last and sleep well.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #5

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Sound like an ad for JPW. Try Rochford supply for the fabric and glue; Assemble and build the pad for $35 ish. It's 18 oz pcv fabric...roughly $3.5 bucks for a square yard of fabric. Recycle foam from Craigs list and the pads can be done for $13-18 bucks. With the money you save, put your kids thru college.
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010   #6

a bit outside your question since you were specific about paco's but I'll throw 2 cents in for the Aire Landing Pads as well. 3" soft foam also and thick outer material. pretty solid pad for a lot cheaper. damn comfy.
Osprey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've got the silverback - it rivals my bed at home. I got super lucky and won it in a raffle - I love it. For the money though I would give the AIRE pad a hard look.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #8

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
With the Grande's softer foam you can actualy roll it smaller than the super or guide pads.
The thing that makes paco pads so much better than the rest is the foam JPW uses. It does not seem to breakdown or stay compressed even after years of use. His pads are pricey, but they are absolutely worth it.
zboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #9

Go check out NRS. I justed ordered another paco grande to my sleeping arsenal. They were or are on sale.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #10

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by garystrome View Post
Sound like an ad for JPW. Try Rochford supply for the fabric and glue; Assemble and build the pad for $35 ish. It's 18 oz pcv fabric...roughly $3.5 bucks for a square yard of fabric. Recycle foam from Craigs list and the pads can be done for $13-18 bucks. With the money you save, put your kids thru college.
Where can one buy the valves to keep the air in while sleeping? And how would you attach them securely?
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote