super duper or diablo - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2012   #1

Seattle, Washington
super duper or diablo

Ok, so I've got it down to one of these boats for a fishing/whitewater rig. Waddya think? Also, if I go with Aire, I'll probably shell out for the sealed floor to save a little water weight...
Is the aire floor nice to stand on?
Please enlighten me as to your opinions on pros/cons, and if anyone can share any experience they have had with the sealed pocket floor (worth it?). Thank you for taking the time!

danalbrecht84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012   #2

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by danalbrecht84 View Post
if I go with Aire, I'll probably shell out for the sealed floor to save a little water weight...
Is the aire floor nice to stand on?
You want a cat, with a removable aluminum diamond plate floor
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012   #3
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
it's no aluminum diamondplate, but the aire floors are pretty easy to stand on compared to an i-beam floor, especially if you pump them up tight again after putting them in the water. they really dont take on that much water, maybe 20 pounds for my puma, 45 or so in my 130D.
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012   #4

Seattle, Washington
Thanks for the feedback!

I current have a 14' sotar cat. It is great for two and a little gear, but I want something I can do low water with and float 3 guys (total) fishing. The cat is nice with the floor, but it seems I'd need a really big cat for a comperable draft vs load.
Old 05-22-2012   #5

Seattle, Washington
Hmmm... Good to know Matt.

I don't really float muddy rivers (rarely), and it is an extra 400 for the sealed pocket.
Old 05-22-2012   #6

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I'm debating the same two choices for my first round boat- running my second cat currently. The Aire folks all seem to like (and recommend) the Aire open concept floor- I wonder if a little lost maneuverability/added weight is a detriment for a fishing boat? My other concern is the high ends to the Diablo and how it will handle in the frequent wind we seem to get? The Aire has a nice profile here- as do some of the other diminishing style designs out there. 143D is another option- or the Sotar Strike
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #7

Seattle, Washington
I was thinking the same thing about the floor osseous. It is hard enough to hold against the current in a raft, it seems like taking on water in the floor would make it harder still. I love the sotar boats, but the ibeam floor is not so nice to fish from. I don't know anyone with a diablo, but like the design and know maravias are bomber boats. Has anyone here run the diablo?

Thanks again
Old 05-23-2012   #8
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
a raft or cat are neither perfect fishing rigs. If you really want to fish hard core WA get a drift boat, I lived in your neck of the woods and actually bought my SDP from Dana at Swiftwater Sports, which is too bad the biz was sold and then went under (RIP). If you do a little of everything then get a raft, if you want to do some fishing and also have a class V whitewater solo boat get a cat. We use a drift boat for fishing, I also have a super duper puma that gets fished but is my primary multiday craft for me, wife, and dog. It handles just fine fully loaded for an 8 day trip with 120 beers, 2 - 20 mm cans, table deck, 400 lbs of man meat, 45 lbs of dog, fire pan, 80 qrt yeti, custom dry box, 4 fifths of something in the 90 proof range, sleeping bag, 1 set of undershorts, and a couple t-shirts. note: not the wife in the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lubell (87).jpg
Views:	617
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	4712  
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012   #9

Seattle, Washington
Hey Shap, thanks for the pic and intel. I am in the little of everything area. I am not into more than class III with occasional class IV, and will eventually have both a drift boat and raft, but for now I'll sell the cat andget a raft. Seems like the sdp is just right for fishing 3 big dudes for daytrips. How does your cooler fit? I have an 85qt yeti, and it measures just under 34" where it would meet the tubes, and the sdp is specified at 33" between tubes. The guy at Aire said it shouldn't hurt the boat, but it seems like quite a squeeze.
Old 05-23-2012   #10
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I have a Yeti Sherpa 80 quart which is not the same width at the newer 80 quart yeties. Where my cooler sits is 31" between the tubes. I think your yeti will probably be quit a squeeze to get it in your boat. My yeti lid warped for no apparent reason a couple months after the warrany was up and the Yeti guys didn't treat me right, no lid for me to buy and they basically they offered me about $75 off the price to buy a new one. F- yeti, but that is another story.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote