SUP which one? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-20-2010   #1
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
SUP which one?

Hey SUPper's:

I am looking at buying an inflatable SUP and was looking for some feedback before I drop the cash.

Which ones do you like? I am looking for a board to use mostly on the river but also will surf it in the ocean from time to time.

I have seen the ULI's, Saturn's, and Sevylor's. What other's are out there and what do you like/dislike?

Thanks,
Mut

Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2010   #2

Golden, Colorado
If you don't really need the inflatable part (for ease of transport?) then I think what my buddy did is the best idea: get a free or dirt cheap obsolete sailboard off of Craig's list. I guess the whole problem is that they are huge and hard to store and carry around but why not? Throw it in the backyard. You won't be wanting to take that log to California with you but how many times are you really going to want to surf SUP in the ocean? That could get ugly. SUP in the ocean should require a license... but I digress.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #3

FRESNO, California
Paddling Since: 2004
Check out the Tomahawk Inflatable called the Kaweah. It has the rocker profile and outline of a kayak, but it's super stable. The Kaweah is the way to go for SUP on whitewater.

Good luck
Evan
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2010   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I bought the Sevylor and love it, I was concerned with dropping almost a grand on something I wasnt sure myself or my grilfriend would like. for the money I believe I got the biggest bang for my buck, look around you can find a deal for sure!It awesome that it rolls up in a bag with the pump and paddle attaches to the bag-great for traveling...
lastly, I would caution using a sailboard, you wont get the rocker upfront you will need on a river. its designed for a lake/sea being pulled by a sail... you will see when you start using the board that there is a difference, and they are not as durable as a inflatable SUP.
Hope that helps
Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #5
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks so far.
I'm not inclined to go the windsurfer route. I am looking for an inflatable so I can travle with it and for when the kids play on it they are not bouncing off epoxy resin.
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
I have also been wondering about which SUP board might be the sweet. I know that I've seen the Sevylor (sp?) online for around a g. I did find the Saturn brand one with a bag and a paddle on Amazon for around $400. $400 tastes a lot better than a grand....though I still wonder if the inflatables are going to be as stable as a rigid board?
Old 01-21-2010   #7

Denver, Colorado
I want to say I paid like 600 for the(sevylor) board and paddle, I hear that, tastes way better than G.
I also understand that a rigid board carves better but the stability is essentially the same. Also its important to make sure it has some rocker upfront so the board doesnt dig in..
my 2 cents..
Old 01-21-2010   #8

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Yup. Googled it.

You're right. I found the Sevylor on multiple sites for right around six hundred. The thing I want to know is why out of the 5 or 6 brands out there I can see, that all of them besides the Sevylor and the Saturn are around a thousand dollars. I saw the 12' Saturn without a paddle for $350, shipping included. Why are these two so DRASTICALLY cheaper than all the others? You say you dig the stability of the Sevylor?
Old 01-21-2010   #9

Denver, Colorado
The only reason I suspect its that low on cost is because they are a newr company, They also make cheaper priced rafts.. I havent actually seen the saturn board yet.
the sevylor is stable as a board can be.. 30 inches wide.

Here on the buzz i have seen a few negative comments about Saturn, there not usually from peoples experience seem more about the cost and they wouldnt trust them, but there are also alot of positive comments, I would think for 350 its gotta be ok at least to start, then progress upwards.
Old 01-21-2010   #10

Salida, Colorado
what up Mut? I have a Kona Board and my family and I had a ton of fun on it last year. Here is my review: Mike Harvey's SUP Review | Colorado Kayak Supply Blog

I just tried out the Isup from C4 waterman last weekend and I think that is going to be my next board. I am a big fan of the inflatables for travel and versatility. Just like you I go everywhere now with a gaggle of kids in tow and the inflatable boards are so friendly for my kids and their buddies to play with.

Cheers Bro!
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote