Strutter helmet - ample protection? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-15-2019   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Strutter helmet - ample protection?

Found a new one for <$100. Does anyone have input/stories about the low volume of this helmet being a problem - such as someone took a injury hit that a higher volume helmet would have prevented? Or has the baseball bill, caused the helmet to slide when underwater?
Not going to do class V, but want good protection for shallow 3/4 creeking.

AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Love mine, have had it 6-7 years. It's the best fit I've ever found.

Actually quite warm in the winter due to its close fit.
yet somewhat warm in the summer due to its close fit.

Bill is short-ish, so I've never snagged it on anything. Definitely not affected by hydraulics due to the close fit.

I have a ginormous head and WRSI didn't have a L/XL when I bought mine. I would consider WRSI as well. (but like you, bought my Strutter used..spent $50 or 60 back then and it was worth every penny).

And some advice I got from others when fitting hockey helmets: everyone's head is shaped differently. Different helmets are also shaped differently. Buy a decent helmet, but buy a decent helmet that fits YOUR head. It's safer if it fits you than a "really safe" helmet that fits poorly. So...brand is important, but not the only factor.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019   #3

Colorado, Colorado
Pretty sure Steep And Cheap has that exact helmet on sale currently for around $70.
AzPackrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2019   #4

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Yeah I got the last M/L; there are still some S/M.
AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
My recollection is they used to use different shock absorption liners in the Stutter compared to the Rocker. But looking at their website there's no indication that there's any difference now. I wonder when it happened - it looks like on they switched the Rocker from EPP to layers of EVA combined with MIPS technology. Anyone know when they changed? I'm curious what I have now...
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
This is a long shot but I would be stoked to buy someones old Strutter from before they added the back strap and new liners. Carbon, Silver or any other color really in a size L/XL.

If anyone has one hanging around in their bin of disused gear I would gladly take it off your hands.

Shoot me a PM if you have one!!
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019   #7

Errywhere, Colorado
The strutter is not as safe as other helmets. It is thin and the back strap fails easily. The large bill also increases the likely hood of it getting pulled off your head while underwater. It makes a great rafting helmet

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Chandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019   #8

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandan View Post
The strutter is not as safe as other helmets. It is thin and the back strap fails easily. The large bill also increases the likely hood of it getting pulled off your head while underwater. It makes a great rafting helmet

Been paddling in mine for a dozen years probably more and never once had it come anywhere close to being pulled off my head. Also took some hard hits and came away ok every time.

Mine is still anecdotal evidence, any chance you have any science to say that they are unsafe?
missiongravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019   #9

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1998
My input is also anecdotal: I love my Sweet FF Rocker and thought a Strutter would be a great big water/hot weather helmet, however, I simply could not get that thing to sit securely on my head no matter what I did with the straps. If I hit the bill with any kind of upward force, the whole thing shifted up and left my face/forehead exposed.

After trying on a bunch of friends' helmets, I finally bought a Shred Ready Shaggy. Not as much brim in the front as the Strutter, but there's enough to provide a bit of shade for my eyes and nose. It also provides better coverage around the temples and sides of my head, but the most important thing is that the strap system really locks the helmet down tight for me.

You really have to try on a bunch of different helmets from different manufacturers to know which one works the best for you. Everybody's head is a different size/shape and every helmet has a unique design. The Sweet Rocker works for me, but the Sweet Strutter doesn't. The Shred Ready Shaggy works for me, but the Shred Ready Full Face doesn't. The only way I know that is by trying on a bunch of helmets.
landslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019   #10

Errywhere, Colorado
The back strap on mine broke 3 days ago without a blow to the head. I've heard the older ones are more durable. Its also the only helmet athletes can't use in the sickline race. Looks cool though

Chandan is offline   Reply With Quote