Strutter helmet - ample protection? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11

Testes Park, Colorado
a buddy of mine recently lost all his front teeth on a class III/IV run. I've been rocking a full face ever since.

dirtbag69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #12

Englewood, Colorado
I've had a Strutter for a couple of years, but broke the back strap last year. The vendor (Colorado Kayak) and manufacturer really came through and honored the warranty, no issues there.

IMO most of the design is great. I like the brim in the summer and I had a guide once say he thought it was sort of a safety feature, creating an air pocket when the face is just below the surface. Not so sure it'd happen all the time in all conditions, but he demonstrated it and I saw what he meant. Maybe.

But the back strap...if you look at it, the strap goes from pretty wide (1/4"??) to really narrow where it enters the adjusting mechanism. I just picked mine up from a picnic table at put-in and lifted it from the strap, no big deal. No snatch, no torque, just picked it up. It snapped right there, no way to fix it. I'm not an engineer but it sure seems like an easy design fix: Widen/strengthen the strap. Just my experience.

-Tom
Tom Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #13

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
My new strutter did its job last weekend. I took a pretty hard hit. I think the bill hit a rock straight on. I came with away minor scrapes (from the front of the helmet being smashed down on my nose, I think). The helmet returned to normal position when I came up.

Not sure what different helmets would have done, but I think its quite possible without the bill to soften the impact, it could have been a lot worse.
AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote