Stretching Neoprene neck gasket? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-05-2011  

Bozeman, Montana
Stretching Neoprene neck gasket?

Hello,

I'm fairly new to boating and just bought a semi-dry top (this one: NRS Motion Soft Shell Jacket)

I've worn dry suits before and know that the gaskets are going to be uncomfortable, but this one seams really really tight. It's neoprene since it's a semi-dry, and it has 3 taped seams (which I'm guessing means I can't cut it.) Is there any way to stretch it out just a little?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011  

Philadelphia, New Jersey
Paddling Since: 1997
best bet is to probably just keep using it. or when I went alaska and wore a dry suit(had the most uncomfortable gaskets ever) I used to put my hand in the gaskets right before I put it on and it stretched them out a little. Either way it's just an uncomfortable thing to wear. Warm paddling is the best. haha
Old 03-05-2011  

Jenks, Oklahoma
do a buzz search as this topic has been discussed in depth many times. lots of different opinions and that is the reason you need to do the search
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011  

Boise, Idaho
Just put a paint can or something similar in the neck the night before you hit the river. Not sure if it would make a difference but I have heard good things about different brands like IR/other big names and have heard only excellent things about Kokatat, both products and service.
Old 03-05-2011  

Bozeman, Montana
Thanks for the advice. I did a search and there seems to be plenty about stretching out latex, but not so much on neoprene.
Old 03-05-2011  

Boise, Idaho
Probably just using it as people have stated. Neoprene is very resilient so it will take more time than latex. Maybe try the paint can for more than one day at a time, or indefinitely in storage. Maybe slap a creepy old manikin head in there while it's in the closet. I would also think that hot water would soften it making it easier to stretch.
Old 03-05-2011  

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Did you buy a size too small? Seems like a lot of paddle gear is cut slim. I had to go a size larger than I normally would with a recent dry jacket purchase.
Old 03-05-2011  

Bozeman, Montana
I doubt it's too small, since it's a Men's S and I usually wear a Women's S. It seems almost too big around the waist.
Old 03-05-2011  

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Sit down on the floor, put your foot in the neck, grab the inside of the neck band and stretch it over and over as far back as you can pull, until you're sick of stretching. Then try it on and get in the shower. Neoprene tends to loosen up when it gets wet.
Old 03-06-2011  

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Find a jar or some other container slightly larger than your neck to slide it over. Or a small squash?. I had to stretch my neoprene wrists when I first got my suit. They will eventually loosen a bit (the neck more so than the wrists) but pre-stretching helps.