Stomper vs Mamba - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-13-2014   #1

New Plymouth, New Zealand
Paddling Since: 2010
Stomper vs Mamba

So I currently have a Liquid Logic Stomper 90 that I use for class 4/5 boating here in New Zealand. I want to start regularly pushing class 5 this year on the west coast. Those familiar with the paddling here will know the nature of the runs but for those that dont it is generally high volume steep creeking with lots of 6-16ft weir style drops in the start, middle or end of a difficult rapid. Plenty of sieves and strainers put in for good measure. I have been paddling my playboat a lot lately (Jackson 4 fun) and am beginning to love how it carves around and am constantly being surprised at actually catching the smallest eddies rather than blasting out the other side as i usually end up doing in my stomper. Hence now I am looking at a creekboat with more rail for my class 5 creeking and am quite keen on the new 2013 Dagger Mamba Creeker 8.6. It is pretty much the same volume as a stomper but quite a bit longer. Is anyone able to compare these two boats for me or has someone paddled the mamba in similar situations (the high volume steep creeking). Does the longer water line and planning hull make it much harder to boof over holes etc? Will the lower volume stern get sucked under on drops and end up making the boat stern squirt? Are the rails hard enough that it is better at carving, ferrying and snapping in and out of eddies? Any experience with the boat would be much appreciated.

NZAdventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014   #2

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Neither, Mamba is a good river-runner that works best when your not pin-balling rocks all day. And the stomper is a mediocre at best creek boat. These are different boats. If I needed a boat for step creeks i'd check out the nomad way before the mamba or stomper! just saying. If I needed a river runner i'd check out the karma. But the need for a river runner vs creek boat is determined by the number of rocks you plan on bouncing off. more rocks = creek. less = river runner.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #3

We dont have the same "creek" runs here as you have in the US. ie no slides and super low volume. I am looking at getting more fluid lines carving around hence the desire for some more edge. The high volume creeking i described means that you generally arent bouncing around on rocks, rather trying to avoid them. There is usually plenty of water to get a good stroke in and not hit any rocks with your boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014   #4

Heres an example
Old 01-13-2014   #5

Bazzaro, Free
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZAdventurer View Post
We dont have the same "creek" runs here as you have in the US. ie no slides and super low volume. I am looking at getting more fluid lines carving around hence the desire for some more edge. The high volume creeking i described means that you generally arent bouncing around on rocks, rather trying to avoid them. There is usually plenty of water to get a good stroke in and not hit any rocks with your boat
Then the mamba would be a good choice. But check out the karma! If you want something that can really carve then the diesel!
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #6

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I own a mamba and have paddle 90 stomper... I do think the mamba carves better than the stomper and I think it holds a line better thru rapids ..
As for drops and hole bait the mamba does well... It's got a lot of volume in the sternso I've never had problem punching holes or getting pulled into them...
FYI I'm going to be n NZ in march and hope to get a boat wet some where...
MikeThulin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #7

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I would check out the Wavesport Recon 93, if you can find one. I have the 83 and absolutely love it! It is a definite step up from my old Habitat. I've also heard great things about the Jackson Karma.
mhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #8

dirtbagkayaker:Ii find the diesel to have too little volume for what i want to do. A Karma on the other hand i do like the design of quite a bit. (Not the biggest fan of Jackson outfitting however. I hate the stupid little ropes on my 4fun that always come undone)

Mike: Is the carving performance a noticable step up in a Mamba from the Stomper? And does it boof fairly easily? You will find plenty of sweet runs to get your boat wet down here! March could be pretty dry though as our summer seems to be late meaning good runs wont be flowing as high as is ideal.

mhelm: I was looking at a Recon at one stage but it seemed too much like a Stomper although I have heard a comparison that it carves like a Burn/Remix and boofs like a Jefe/Stomper. When I looked at the hull however the edges didnt seem that pronounced, and very similar to the Stomper actually. Once again maybe i should reconsider the Karma...
Old 01-13-2014   #9

The Karma is a biiiiiiiig boat though. Its almost too much of a boat. Anyone have any experience with it and would be able to tell me how much you notice its size on tight, steep runs?
Old 01-14-2014   #10

Conifer, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I think it is .. Referring to the mamba and a step up from stomper.. I paddled the karma as well... And even for a big guy I am it seemed big but it felt like I could go over and thru anything ..
MikeThulin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote