Stomper 90 or 80? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-29-2011   #1

Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
Stomper 90 or 80?

Sat in a St. 90 and felt it was too much boat around me as my torso is short. My wt is 200 lbs, inseam 32, feet 10.would the stomper 80 work?
thanks,
Jimmy.

JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011   #2
Kayak/SUP Instructor

The High Ground, Colorado
I'm the same inseam and foot size except 25 pounds lighter and the 80 fits me perfect. Just put the first river miles on it this past week. The 90 is a really big boat.
Old 11-29-2011   #3

. ., Kairotic
I'm 5'10" 170 and bought the 90. I put a 1" minicell pad under the seat and added a lot of shims for the hip pads, and now it fits really well. It's a big boat, but if you are a strong paddler, it is sweet having the extra volume.

One of my buddies, Toni Meily at 4Corners River Sports is about the same size as me and paddled an 80 for a while, then bought a 90 because he thought the 80 was a small.

That's my 2 cents.
fullmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
A friend and I both demo'd stompers. I'm 190 5'9" and was in the 90, he's 165 6'2" and was in the 80. I put a jackson seat pad in before even hitting the water, I had found that necessary in my Jefe Grande. I agree with you that the Stomper on the showroom floor feels too big and tall. However, long story short, we both are going with the 90.

After getting on the water I didn't feel the 90 was too big at all and in fact boated shorter, easier and more responsive than the Grande. I slinked into some holes nice and slow and sideways, and that sold me on having the extra volume. The stern grabbed in and shot out. At 165, he was right on the lines of the 80. Any more weight and it would have looked over laden. He agreed it felt low and sunken. He's coming from a Nomad 8.5, so the gallons should be the same.

If you get a chance to demo, or even if not, go for the big one if you are over 165lbs and boost the seat if it feels too low or too big. BTW, this made a huge difference for me in my Jefe as well. Before boosting my Jefe seat I hated it.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #5

I reckon the 90. It feels really big until you get it on the water. Being familiar with paddling progressively smaller play boats over the years also makes the stomper 90 seem big.

Pics of my new one -

New Boat – Liquid Logic Stomper 90 | Unsponsored – UK Kayaking
unsponsored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #6

seikialice88, seikialice88
Paddling Since: seik
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklars View Post
A friend and I both demo'd stompers. I'm 190 5'9" and was in the 90, he's 165 6'2" and was in the 80. I put a jackson seat pad in before even hitting the water, I had found that necessary in my Jefe Grande. I agree with you that the Stomper on the showroom floor feels too big and tall. However, long story short, we both are going with the 90.

After getting on the water I didn't feel the 90 was too big at all and in fact boated shorter, easier and more responsive than the Grande. I slinked into some holes nice and slow and sideways, and that sold me on having the extra volume. The stern grabbed in and shot out. At 165, he was right on the lines of the 80. Any more weight and it would have looked over laden. He agreed it felt low and sunken. He's coming from a Nomad 8.5, so the gallons should be the same.

If you get a chance to demo, or even if not, go for the big one if you are over 165lbs and boost the seat if it feels too low or too big. BTW, this made a huge difference for me in my Jefe as well. Before boosting my Jefe seat I hated it.
I agree with you