Stohlquist Amp vs Kokatat Meridian drysuit? - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-13-2018   #11

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I also got the Amp drysuit for an incredible price. I love it. No leaks at all. The way I look at it is - If I only get 2 years out of it I am still way ahead. Had it for 1 year - no problems. It is a horrid color so now I look like a rainbow LOL

brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2018   #12

Cave Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
Another vote for the value of the Amp; and their horrid colors. My partner and I look like a tomato and banana going down the river; but we're dry for cheap.
AZ boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018   #13

Tonasket, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
My husband and I both had the AMP, so we also looked like a tomato and a banana on the river. He has had no problems with his, but my booties began leaking after a year and the neck gasket was no longer tight enough to keep water out. After a very damp and cold 8 days on the Middle Fork of the Salmon (late Sept-early Oct) I emailed and called Stolhquist (multiple times) and it took forever to get their customer service to even get me a claim number. I ended up just returning the suit to backcountry.com (the retailer I bought it from) because of their amazing warranty/customer service department (satisfaction guaranteed). Backcountry actually let me trade in the beat up AMP suit for a new Kokatat (I paid the different in price between the two suits). I am much happier with the Kokatat, especially because the AMP relief zipper was in the front (same as the dudes) requiring funneling pee or taking the damn thing off.
wetwildandscenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019   #14

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Ok, old thread revival alert, but this existing thread was so on point I didn't see much sense in starting up a new one.

My wife and I have now had direct experience with both Stohlquist and Kokatat on our drysuit odysseys.

For me, it started with a $200 imported Stohlquist mult-sport drysuit I bough on sale from CRG around 2006. I never had much opportunity to wear it until the infamous Tappan Falls Maytag trip in 2013, at which point it leaked through the fabric so bad that the legs would fill up like water balloons and I'd have to drain it out through the ankle gaskets. When I called Stohlquist after that trip, they told me that "lifetime warranty" meant lifetime of the product, and on that particular cheap drysuit that meant 7 years, so I was SOL. After some complaining on my part, they offered me 1/2 price on a new AMP, which I ended up doing. The AMP is made in the USA and is actually a very nice dry suit, other than I look like a tomato.

We purchased a used Kokatat for my wife off ebay in 2016. I don't know how old it was, but we had to replace a latex bootie and it was a purple and gold color, so guessing 1990s just on the color scheme alone. It worked well (other than no relief zipper) for a Selway trip and a Middle Fork trip in the last couple of years (both of which she had some out of boat time) and she stayed nice and dry. The last day of the MF last year the neck gasket ripped. I decided to have Kokatat do the repair, so I went through their process and paid for the gasket repair and a pressure test just to get it all good to go again. I shipped it off and got an email from them a couple of weeks later informing me that they had found a warranty issue with a seam and they had decided to replace the old suit with a brand new goretex front entry drysuit with a relief zipper. It arrived last week and is a thing of beauty. Oh, and they refunded the money I had paid for the repair, test and pre-paid return shipping.

To say the least, Kokatat has made another fan(s) of their amazing customer service. I would have been perfectly happy if they had just done the repairs I had paid for and never mentioned the warranty issue (I still have no idea what it was, other than something about a seam). Incredible.

So, for others stumbling across this thread, you definitely get what you pay for with Kokatat. You will have a dry suit for the rest of your boating career if you go with them. Stohlquist, not so much.
Old 03-25-2019   #15

Commercial Paleontology
Drysuits

Putting aside the great price of the Amp. As long as you are doing research on drysuits...Dont forget IR products. Their Devils Club drysuit is super tuff. If treated properly when not being used they give it a 10 year lifespan. IR is excellent in backing up their product & will definitely beat Kokatat in turn around time if any thing needs adjusted or repaired. If you are in need of making any initial alteration for a great fit..they are on top pf it & list right on their website the cost for making alterations whether to their product or anyone else gear. Give them a look. They are also a bit less expensive than Kokatat.
By the way. Kokatat, IR, & Stohlquist all get their gaskets from the same supplier.
MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote