Stabond - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-16-2011   #1

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Stabond

Sucks buying this stuff Stabond™ Adhesive at $25 every year for a raft trip. It never gets used (thankfully). Anybody have a hot tip on who sells this stuff (big box, national chain specialty shore, ect. ) w/ out buying it thru a paddling store and having it to pay twice as much as it is worth and to pay to have it shipped?
Send me good news or I'm about to call NRS.

liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't float too many jagged rivers, but I have pared down to just a 5 ft roll tear aid tape, a couple of alcohol wipes and a un-opened (doesn't go bad) tube of Aquaseal with cotol activator. Tear Aid is amazing stuff, and with 5 ft of it I feel like I can tackle most anything. Aqua seal will work to re-glue on a patch or repair a seam if you had to (covered with Tear aid if you're anal), and get you down the river, then you can use the stabond for a more permanent fix when you get home.

I have never had a catastrophic tear (the one that we seem to plan our repair kits around) but have used tear aid on the river twice, both 1/2" holes, and am confident in it's ability to get me home.

I have Hypalon boats, but they make tear aid for everything. Aqualseal works on everything too.
Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Reminds me of a Tatshenshini trip where a boatman went over a sharp rock on the first day, causing a 5' tear in his Jack's cat. He ended up having to use one of his Paco's to repair it, as he didn't have near enough material and all the rest of us had hypelon boats.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011   #4

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Clifton urethane adesive is a good one part glue for pvc and I think it may have a longer shelf life than stabond. Viyna bond is a cheap adhesive that works good on pvc as well. I carry vinya bond in my repair kit and then order stabond or clifton ur 1087 if I need to do a major repair.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #5

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I wonder if you contact stabond if they have any information that will be helpful. Like keeping it in a dark location or storing refrigerated. I've got some staybond that is about 3 years old. Maybe I'm lucky but it hasn't broke down like the stuff they demonstrate in the store (I think the glue goes liquidy and the accelerator hardens when bad). I'm due to replace some wear strips on my paddle cat so I'll see if it really is any good.

Not wanting to hijack your thread but does anyone know the best way to get old (delaminating) wear patches (pvc) off of a boat? does MEK remove the adhesive???
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #6

vancouver, Washington
the other thing would be to find a couple of boaters and split the stuff with them. Its surprisingly not much more expansive for a much larger container than just for a small size that you actually need to use ...

one place to check is Andy and Bax in Portland. .. I checked my container is 4/2009 still good and was $19.99 for 350g with the accellerator. I think its just a little less than a pint ...
Old 10-17-2011   #7
www.bigwaterraft.com

Logan, Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 2002
SlamKal, just get a heat gun and heat them up. be careful not to burn the boat though. This works rather well, and then MEK will take off the old glue. You can also use Toluene if you find the MEK is not working as well. People will tell you that MEK is for PVC and Toluene is for hypalon, but Stabond has both MEK and toluene in it, and it works for both kinds of boats, as do either of the solvents.
b_liner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #8

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
Yeah, all good replies. But the Park Ranger at Lee's Ferry kicks and wines if you do not show up with the correct toys. Not sure how Aqualseal would work in super cold weather, but I do have some in my repair kit? I sold that stuff for 13 years, it does work great!

@ SlamKal, you hijacked my stink'n thread of glue... Hahaha!! b liner1 is right, MEK should do the trick!

Ears are still open to anybody that has a better place too buy Staybond!
Cheers!
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011   #9

vancouver, Washington
I'd call Andy and Bax in Portland. The stuff I bought two years ago year was 8oz for $20 .. ... they also sell the 4oz and 16 oz I think ...