Spare Paddle - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-03-2010   #1

Richmond, Virginia
Paddling Since: 1990
Spare Paddle

How do you guys store your spare paddles in paddle rafts? Still trying to figure out what works best for me. I often just stick it behind the rear thwart and lightly tie it in. Those of you that tie the paddle across the top of the rear thwart width wise across the raft. What do you use to tie the paddle in? elastic bungee, rope, or webbing? Do you tie it around the thwart or to the floor.

Thanks for the help guys Appreciate any input.

Lax71vcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010   #2

pollock pines, California
Paddling Since: 2005
Depends on paddler and gear arangment and also the class of water. If I have a full boat and I expect to hit larger holes I will store it to the side of the captains bay I'm not using with two cam straps (single loop on the blade end and a round turn on the T handle end). This arrangement keeps my shins and knees happy. Ive never lost one either even in a flip. Quick and easy to get out if a paddler looses theirs. Ive used across the thwart method with the same rigging but placement is tricky as it will tend to pinch paddlers asses and thrash your shins in rougher water, makes a nice handle to get back in though. hope this helps. Cheers!
fishguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010   #3

Richmond, Virginia
Any other input?

Does anybody know of a company that sells thwart straps that have a bungee to hole a spare paddle? Just a thought. Maybe somebody could make some? Any design Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010   #4

why are you looking for bungee? any particular reason?
Old 01-10-2010   #5

Richmond, Virginia
Trying to figure out the best way to strap a spare paddle across the thwarts. I have thought of cam straps but then the cam straps are loose and could cause an entrapment when getting the spare paddle out. I usually just wedge the spare paddle in behind the thwart but it doesn't stay very well in a flip and I am trying to rig to flip more this year.

I just cant figure out what or how
is the best way to securely lash a paddle down but still have easy access to it when needed.
Old 01-10-2010   #6

Richmond, Virginia
PS

It doesn't have to be bungee. I must have bungee on the brain

What length cam straps do you use? 3 feet sound about right or a bit longer?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2010   #7

x, x
Paddling Since: x
We have 18'' thwarts I believe and we use a 4' nrs cam around the rear thwart in 2 places. We go around the thwart, loop the shaft and through the cam. thight and secure, and a great handle. it does pinch your ass, but I don't sit there.
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010   #8

I use 4 footers but i have a pin in style thwart. this gives me a little more tail in the cam strap than I need and posses entrapment issues. but no more than the cooler or water jugs. risk Vrs gain I guess. With big paddle crews I rig the paddle to the outside of the captains bay to the D rings with 1 foot cam straps. Full round turns on the paddle tight to the D ring. Pretty hard to get wraped up in it like that.