Sotar vs. Maravia - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2010   #1

Del Norte, Colorado
Sotar vs. Maravia

Hi -

I am a kayaker and sometimes rafter looking to purchase a raft for overnight (often 4-5 night) trips and also for a local float fishing on the Rio. We (there are generally two of us going on trips) are looking at the 15' Sotars and Maravias, but I haven't seen much about them in this forum. I have been on trips with several Sotars and so far love them, but want to make sure I have all the facts. Weight and how to get it to the river not a problem. We like to do the Ark, Colorado (both in Colo and Utah), San Juan, Snake, Salmon, Salt, etc. Also, we have some experience rowing on all these rivers and consider myself to have moderate rowing experience overall. Any input is much appreciated! Thanks.

eadunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010   #2

Salt Lake City, Utah
I have heard so many good things about Maravia boats. Not really anything bad about SOTARS. I think both are great boats. I think Maravia's are made up in Idaho. Any reason you are counting out Aire and Hyside?
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #3

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I've rowed both and they are both bomber. However, Maravia boats are pvc coated with urethane, which is stiffer and heavier, and harder to roll up than the Sotar's polyester fabric, which is also coated with urethane, but easier to roll and lighter. Maravia's are slightly less expensive, but Sotar has a better warranty.

For me it came down to the folding the boat, and the weight issues, my Sotar works better for myself and my petite wife.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2010   #4

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Sotar's are nylon, not polyester (not like it really matters). They are very different boats, specifically the floor construction and weight. Sotar has a traditional Ibeam floor, and maravia has some thick flat foam floor. You can debate things like tracking until the cows come home, and it comes down to what you like or more importantly are used to. The maravia floor is much harder, I think it is less dynamic. The whole boat is very rigid, which some people like and I do not. Also heavy, hard to roll, but coating it with urethane seems bomber. Sotar's are made in Oregon. If you're not sure, get whichever one you can get a better deal on and you'll love it. Some Sotar local reps give good discounts too.
Old 07-17-2010   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
According to the Sotar guy I talked to, some are made from nylon, but most are polyester with urethane coating. You're right though, it doesn't matter.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #6

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Interesting. Perhaps there were too many fumes in the shop the day one of us spoke with them!
Old 07-17-2010   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Maravias handle super funny. They don't track at all, so if you're used to a boat that tracks it'll f you up the first time you're out. We have one at the company I guide for and we call it the "flip machine." Looks bomber as hell though.
SimpleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #8

Del Norte, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
I have heard so many good things about Maravia boats. Not really anything bad about SOTARS. I think both are great boats. I think Maravia's are made up in Idaho. Any reason you are counting out Aire and Hyside?
I am cutting out Aire because of the floor. We do many silty rivers and I have heard some very bad things about mud cakes in the floor. Just don't know much about hyside, like where they are made and what they are made of. We would like to buy something made in US. Does anyone know whether the maravia floors and the aire floors are the same? I didn't realize they might be, and that might be my deciding factor.

Thanks again
Old 07-17-2010   #9

HSS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Just received my 15' 6" Sotar ST two weeks ago, I've had it on the water six days now in multiple configurations and it handles well no mater how I rig it. It tracks great and drafts very little. Can't speak for the Marivias, I know Marivia folks like their Marivia, but for me it came down to the fabric and design. Sotar's urethane fabric is bomb proof and relatively light. Last time I looked at Marvia, they used a urethane spray coating over their fabric. Gives it the abrasion resistance, but twice as much weight. To me it seemed difficult to patch.
Sotar was awesome to work with. I was able to order the boat, custom made, during one of their sales, getting 20% off, wich made it ever bit as affordable as a Hyside or NRS, and certainly cheaper than the Avon or Achilles. By the way, I noticed most of these boats were now offering the urethane coating as a skid or bottom chafe on their boat as a standard, on top of the hypalon or pvc.

All that and looks good too.
rafterswhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010   #10

Del Norte, Colorado
What size are the tubes on your 15'6" SOTAR? Also, a friend of mine mentioned the sales - what time of year are those? Thanks for all.