Sotar Legend or ST - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2010   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 2001
Sotar Legend or ST

Do you see many negatives to going with a Sotar Legend over an ST? I'm trying to decide between the two for a cat that will be used as both playboat and a 2 person fishing rig. The Legend would have to be 14'6" to accommodate an 84" frame where the 14' ST has plenty of flat section for a larger frame. I'm downsizing and upgrading from a Star Superbug. I like the Legend rocker for pushing it and improving my skills/confidence but I don't want it to compromise the other uses of the cat too much.

Dilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Legend, Legend, Legend, Legend, if you want to play.

Downsides? No. Have you talked to SOTAR to make sure the frame wouldn't work on the Legend? Why choose a boat around a frame? You might be able to push the envelope of the flat section on the Legend. One of the boat designer guys at SOTAR can probably help you out to see if that frame will work, if you need that to be the case.

Actually the ST is a nice boat also, it's not totally flat. The legend's tips might get in the way of fishing (?), they are a couple inches higher than the ST.

Make sure to choose your colors wisely, they'll do any mix of colors on multiple surfaces (3 boat panels, seam tape between panels, nose cones, hardware patches, chafe pad, seam tape on chafe pad, lettering. They sure can be pretty and you only get one chance! Enjoy, with either boat you'll likely end up very happy.
Old 04-21-2010   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I use an 84" long frame on my 14' ST and this is just right for my purposes. The frame has a front rower's compartment and 2 rear cargo (box/cooler) / passenger bays. This setup works great for multi-day trips with just me or for day trips with just me or with a passenger or 2. Have also had a friend fishing from it. I wouldn't go any longer than 84" for a 14' ST.

I only have ST tubes that predate the Legend so I can't comment directly on the Legend but from the raves about the Legend I can't see a downside to them. From people's comments the Legend tubes are more sporty than the ST tubes, but the ST tubes still handle really well. My 14' ST has logged many daily class 4 runs as well as the Grand Canyon.

If I were buying new tubes today I would buy Legend tubes but you won't be disappointed with ST tubes. Check the Sales Hotsheet at Sotar.com and chat with Sotar directly to help you decide which tubes best suit your needs. Also chat with Ted at Payette River Equipment for info and good pricing on Sotar tubes.
Ever_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2010   #4

Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
I have a 13 foot Legend (12'-6" x 22.5 inch tubes stretched to 13') and just finished building an 80" frame for it. Taking the tubes down to the shop right now to test ballence and loading and oar geometry in our drainage pond. I'll report back in a couple of hours.

Cheryl at SOTAR measured a 12'-6" Legend and told me it would fit a 76" frame, which would be a bit cozy for fishing. That's why I had mine built to 13'

The only advantage the ST tubes have over Legend is that the smaller ST tubes are less likely to get lifted by big hydrolics and flip. To most of us the sportier ride is worth the risk
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010   #5

Fresno, California
Well...after trying my new cat in the pond I can't wait till next weekend so I can do a class IV run. The 80" frame is perfect for 2 and the 13 foot tubes handle my 240 lbs plus another 120 of steel bar at the front edge of the back seat. Balence was excelent with 120lbs (nose heavy with no weight, but I can adjust the rowers seat back) and it felt like another 100 back there would be acceptble. 80 inches on 13 foot tubes is just enough room for two to fish (for both frame and tubes), but for steep, low volumn rivers I wouldn't want any longer tubes
Old 04-26-2010   #6

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
The only advantage the ST tubes have over Legend is that the smaller ST tubes are less likely to get lifted by big hydrolics and flip. To most of us the sportier ride is worth the risk
I believe it's the other way around. The larger tubes are said to increase stability.
Old 04-26-2010   #7

Fresno, California
You're mistaken;

"There is a serious misconception that smaller catarafts are not as stable but smaller tubes with lower buoyancy have less propensity to be picked up and turned over by hydraulics. You can also widen any cataraft frame for added stability."

from here

Catarafts - Whitewater Catarafts, AIRE Ocelot, Jaguarundi, Leopard, Cougar, Wildcat from The Boat People

and a talk with the good people at Sotar will support this too
Old 04-26-2010   #8

at my house, Montana
Well, talking and boating with the guy that designed the Legend (not SOTAR), I've heard different. I don't think Class V boaters are looking for a craft that will flip more.
Old 04-26-2010   #9

Fresno, California
Ted Day didn't "design" the Legend. He asked Sotar to rework the "fairy shoe" design to give more rocker and tube diameter, specifically to give it MORE LIFT in steep and frothy rapids. Big difference between big hydrolics and foam! More life ain't good in big hydrolics. Just look at the Lochsa Falls video and see how many Legends flip compared to St's and Aire's
Old 04-26-2010   #10

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
Ted Day didn't "design" the Legend. He asked Sotar to rework the "fairy shoe" design to give more rocker and tube diameter, specifically to give it MORE LIFT in steep and frothy rapids. Big difference between big hydrolics and foam! More life ain't good in big hydrolics. Just look at the Lochsa Falls video and see how many Legends flip compared to St's and Aire's
I don't know what you consider designing a boat then. My point is the Legend is not less stable, or more prone to flipping, and we can argue that until the cows come home and as far as I'm concerned they're home. To each his own, just my opinion, along with the many people who I've boated with both having ST's and Legends, along with my own experience rowing a ST. Still, the ST is a great boat, as pretty much all cats are.

I sure do like my big fat tubes when the brain wave in Grim Reaper reaches up and throws me laterally. Yes, the Legend is the boat of choice on the Lochsa. WTF, because it flips more? That's absurd, now that's mistaken.