Sotar Colors - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-24-2010   #1

DeBeque, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Sotar Colors

I want to get a Sotar Legend, but I can't decide on what colors to get. I've thought about black sides, light blue top/bottom/d-rings, and white seam tape but I don't know how well the dark colors would do in the desert heat. Does anyone have any pics of good color combinations or know where I can see some pics? Oh and I can't do teal/white because my husband already has one and says I can't copy him.

stacie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010   #2

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Watch your inflation pressures if you go black.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
http://www.youtube.com/user/lhowemt?feature=mhum

I've got two videos up that might help. You can't really see the color details but maybe you'll get some color inspiration!

Dark colors aren't really a problem as long as you're on whitewater. If you're going to be on a lot of flatwater or frequent shuttles (where the boat dries out and doesn't have the river cooling it) you might be wary of black. The other darker colors don't see to be so solar absorbent.
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010   #4
sh$t show voyeuor/host

Barnard(Marshall), North Carolina
Paddling Since: wen?
my buddy swears that the tan material is tougher than the other colors. Has anyone else ever heard this?
matt cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #5
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you go......sorry, can't do it. Blue is great in the desert against the red rocks. Just remember, no matter what you decide, you can't go back.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #6

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt cook View Post
my buddy swears that the tan material is tougher than the other colors. Has anyone else ever heard this?
I have found that the tan is not as thick or durable as the other colors. That's probably why it's cheaper. I don't care what Sotard says, take some samples of each color and put them through your own test with a knife or something. The tan is lighter, thinner and not as durable.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Oh, and black boat with white seam tape? The black will get hot, the white will get dirty and everyone will laugh at you. At least your boat will never get stolen.
Marco Esquandolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Esquandolis View Post
Oh, and black boat with white seam tape? The black will get hot, the white will get dirty and everyone will laugh at you. At least your boat will never get stolen.
Right. Because everyone laughs at Ted Day and ghost rider. And Steve gets laughed at too with his white boat, because it's dirty (WTF?) Get a clue dude. Who gives a shit even if people do laugh? We're catboaters, people either shake their heads or laugh at us.

On fabrics, there was/is(?) some tan that was different than the rest of the fabric. It was a military spec that Sotar bought. Supposedly there were some issues years ago? I believe the SP model is made with this, and the boat does cost less.

And note there are only 3 pieces of fabric on each tube, (inside/outside/bottom), not 4.
Old 09-25-2010   #9

San Juan Islands, Washington
A friend of mine just picked up her new Sotar, White/black with red seam tape, looks real nice. I'll try to find some pictures.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010   #10

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Tan is the most cost effective and offers a very low solar gain
garystrome is offline   Reply With Quote