Sotar Coho 13' - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-08-2012   #1

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Sotar Coho 13'

Hi folks- looking to upgrade my small cat. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on Sotar's tan material specifically? I've read that it's different from their other colors- and I've read it's the same? I've also heard that they use a tube within a tube on their cats, rather than each end being a baffled chamber- is this the case with the Coho? Seems a smart design- if a little heavier than traditional chambers.

I'm also interested in anyone's personal experience rowing and/or fishing from these (13') boats and how they handle...stability....whitewater capability. I've pretty well established that these are the top of the food chain for quality- and the design is just about perfect for what I'm looking to do. Any feedback you folks could give me would be greatly appreciated before I dive in- Pics greatly appreciated!

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
I have fished from a 13' coho for 1 week last summer. They are super nice and stable. They float high in the water and handled the III stuff really nice. Never hit anything bigger. I didn't know that the tan color was any different than other colors. I heard that the tan color was a bulk order color?? The rental boat I used was tan and had seen a ton of outfitter use and still really solid. I'll bet the boat was 5+ years old. IDK about the tube in tube, but I have rented several fishing cats and the coho was hands down my fav. It was bad ass tough and I could stand on the tubes and fly fish.
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986

I don't know about the 12' coho per say, but the small boat in this vid is a 12-13' Sotar Cat. Pretty dam stable, no flip riding the bucking Bronk!
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012   #4

Coos Bay, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I have a set brand new I am selling. I sent you a PM.

The tan is not the normal urethane fabric and is a PVC blend material, thats why it is cheaper for that color( thats what they said when I bought them). After I bought them I found a brand I liked better so I never used them and ended up buying a whole boat package from someone else as I liked the frames better.

like I said the tubes are new.
riverrunr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #5

Professional Transient, See above.
Disclaimer- I do not call myself a catarafter. There are many people here that I'm sure can tell you much more information.

I know some Sotar cat's have the tube within a tube (which I personally like- valve on one end of the tube inflates the inner chamber, valve on the other end of the tube inflates the outer chamber). I don't know if all their boats do this. I've only rowed a few Sotar rafts and don't remember many details about them.

Their main competitor, from what I gather, is Aire. I have paddled a couple of their cats many times (worked on a wave destroyer and ran one Grand trip on a Jaguarundi) and like them tremendously. You may want to look at them for comparison. I like their double layer system (inner tube and sheath sort of thing), though again it is also added weight like Sotar's double tube system.

Cheers!
st2eelpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #6

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Thanks for the replies folks- lots of good info so far. Keep it coming!
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #7

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
The tan material is not pvc nor are any Sotars but a polyester base with a urethane coating. Several years ago Sotar got a great deal on the tan color material and offered some great deals. I scooped up one of the tan boats at that time but I also own 2 other Sotars and there's no difference. I wouldn't hesitate buying one of the tan at the right price. The Coho though I believe is a fishing Cat design? But bottom line is the tan material which they called their SP is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osseous View Post
Hi folks- looking to upgrade my small cat. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on Sotar's tan material specifically? I've read that it's different from their other colors- and I've read it's the same? I've also heard that they use a tube within a tube on their cats, rather than each end being a baffled chamber- is this the case with the Coho? Seems a smart design- if a little heavier than traditional chambers.

I'm also interested in anyone's personal experience rowing and/or fishing from these (13') boats and how they handle...stability....whitewater capability. I've pretty well established that these are the top of the food chain for quality- and the design is just about perfect for what I'm looking to do. Any feedback you folks could give me would be greatly appreciated before I dive in- Pics greatly appreciated!
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #8

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Exactly what Wavester said! The tan material is made of the same 40oz urethane material as all the other boats they make. Long story short is they ended up with a bunch of left over special order tan material from a government contract that spec'd out the tan color. Basically the extra tan material was made into many many boats that were called SP's which were the same design as the ST rafts and cats along with the coho design. There are only a few new tan 13' coho tubes left. I'm the Oregon Sotar dealer and have sold over 20 tan rafts and cats the last couple of years without any problems at all. If you don't mind the color, you'll save yourself $500+ compared to the same boat in any other color. Take advantage before they are all gone!
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I'm sure you can email them and they will mail you a 6" sample from their scrap pile
Old 02-11-2012   #10

Boise, Idaho
I've always been surprised that Aire/Maravia/Sotar didn't all three make tan a standard boat color. I'd pay extra for it. I'm not the only person I know who uses their whitewater or fishing rigs to jump shoot ducks or float in with decoys on rivers too skinny to run the jet boat and I can tell you from experience that it takes an awful lot of camoflauge netting to hide a bright-colored raft even when you've moved it several hundred yards down the river. Not to mention all the AK float hunters. Tan would be a lot easier to conceal pulled up in the tules.
Alectoris is offline   Reply With Quote