son, myself, and friend getting our first kayaks! friend is 290 lbs, what kayak fits - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 12-23-2011   #1

Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2012
son, myself, and friend getting our first kayaks! friend is 290 lbs, what kayak fits

Ok, so myself, my son (who is almost 9) and a friend of mine have all started researching and looking into buying our first WW kayaks and getting into the sport! My son and I have just started a ww kayak class that's being taught at our local ymca pool during the winter months on Wed. nights. My friend can't take the class with us because of work. Anyways, i've been researching boats a lot online lately and think i'm gonna buy LL remix kayaks for my son and me. My friend on the other hand is having a very hard time finding a boat that will fit him. He is 6'2 and 290 lbs. We are wanting river runner type boats since we are just starting out and probably gonna take a couple years of learning before we build up to tring some class 4/5 creek stuff. What boat do you guys recommend for my 290 lb friend?

GosuPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
The Remix is made in 3 sizes 59, 69 & 79. The 79 is rated up to 280 lbs...

Check out this sizing chart by Colorado Kayak Supply, Kayaks, Kayak Accessories, Gear, Fishing Equipment, Kayaking Accessory

Chart: Sizing Chart

It has all the sizing information for all the current models of Dagger, Jackson, Liquidlogic, Pyranha, Wavesport and Bliss Stick kayaks.

The Remix is a great boat for what you are looking to do, but you may want to consider something that is a little smaller, like a Jackson Fun. It is still a very beginner friendly boat, but will give you the option to surf waves and learn freestyle moves as well. IMO learning in a playboat will improve your skills faster.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #3

Columbus, Indiana
Jefe grand or a Jackson super hero could possibly work for your friend.

Since you're shelling out the bucks for new kayaks, I'd recommend waiting to do a few runs next year, and renting/demoing a few different styles of boats so you can find out what you really want.

Nothing worse than shelling out $2k and figuring out a couple months later that you'd rather have a free runner style boat than a river runner style boat since you'd really like to do more surfing at your local hole/wave.
seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011   #4
gh

pnw, Colorado
My opinion is that the jefe grande wont be big enough. Super hero, Pyranha Everest would be my choices.
Old 12-24-2011   #5

Shelby, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Anyone have input on LL remix xp10 as white water boat
Johnjones1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011   #6

hutchinson, Kansas
Paddling Since: 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnjones1983
Anyone have input on LL remix xp10 as white water boat
Can't say much about the xp10. I have an xp9 and love it.
shonuffkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #7

I recommend a nutrition program and a membership at a crossfit gym. I am serious. At 6'2" and 290 I gotta say kayaking will be tough to learn.
Before all the skinny people jump on me let me be clear..... I have put on 20lbs since I started and have had a hard time rolling a creek boat or river run Ed with this thing in front of me.
But used boats when the time comes and turn you search away from this site and look at Boatertalk. A forum focused on the southeast US.
And get your friend on a program. I did and have never been stronger or felt better.
nemi west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #8

Grand Junction, Colorado
yea 6.2 and 290lbs is really big he needs to shed some weight to be efficient at the sport
flipper42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Tell your friend not to worry, he can still enjoy whitewater. 290 seems to be a tad under average for commercial rafting clientele...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011   #10
gh

pnw, Colorado
Jeez guys, its Christmas.....so what the guy could lose a few pounds. There is a boat out there that he can get and enjoy the water.