Slim Pickens.... - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-28-2011   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Slim Pickens....

For the past couple of months I've been trolling the classifieds bothe here and on craigslist for a deal on a good beginner river running boat on a budget.

I know I can't be too choosy with a budget of $350 (hopefully a paddle included in that price), but all I'm finding is crappy old playboats and creekers from the 90s, or newer, prettier boats at higher prices..

surely there are some middle of the road boats out there! I'm not looking for a ferrari, but I also refuse to settle on a pinto! Would I have better luck in the spring? I figured fall would be the bargain time as people cleaned out their sheds for next years models. Was hoping to get a boat sooner than spring so I could do some pool sessions.. Thoughts?

WetExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011   #2

If you want to spend less than $400 then you are looking at old creekers, playboats, and riverrunners, and I think those boats are perfect for learning. There is nothing wrong with most of the older boats, especially for starting out.

I've taught people to kayak in a number of boats and the best learning boat across the board for progression and confidence was always the Dagger RPM which is a very old design.

Right now in the gear swap on the first page of all around boats there is a Wavesport z and a pyranna inazone for $200 a piece. Both are great learning boats. They are each playful enough for you to start playboating but stable enough to run rivers in. I even knew a cheap latvian who creeked in an inazone till his friends made him buy a bigger boat.

The key is to buy a boat and to start paddling it. If you are buying your first boat chances are you are going to either upgrade it at some point (once you've figured out what you like) or you are going to give up kayaking. Either way you don't want to spend too much right now. Just buy something cheap and go paddle it.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #3

x, x
Paddling Since: x
do you have a boat now?

also, the ecomoney sucks right now so everyone is trying to get top dollar out of there used equipment so you arn't going to see amazing deals.

you could buy a new boat that has been discontinued that still has a warranty, example is a ll bisket.

also, not all new boats are what you want, for instance the star series from jackson. It is the most sought after playboat on the market but it is for intermediates to expert boaters, it takes a lot of time to control that boats boyancy energy vrs a e-z from wavesport or an e-zg or a bisket or fuse EVERYONE can loop a star playboat, but that is it, I have watched people for the last 2 or 3 years STOKED to get one but they all only have 1 trick, the loop.

the newer boats are shorter, alowing more options for low water play, yes, but what they have learned is the longer sliceyer boats alow more time to get behind more tricks and you can do more as a beginer than in the newer design boats.

if you notice they all are adding them back into the lineup, you might not loop it, but it will do a ton of other tricks that most new adged playboaters do not do.

cartwheels, pirouettes, stalls etc.

i'd recomend the e-z series or a riot 54 depending on your weight/hight.

do not think the old boats wont cut it, they are sweet for sure, I think you should ask what older boats are awesome for a majority of tricks from the collective, then you can deside.

any playboat under 8' will do an ez over a score and so on...
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2011   #4

Indian Hills, Colorado
I've got a pyranha h3 in very good condition that's yours for $350. I'll throw in an old paddle, but you will not be impressed. The H3 is an awesome river runner, not a play boat. Very comfortable, modern design, you'll definitely use it for a few years as your "creeker" once you get the hang of the sport. PM me if you're interested. Seriously, this boat has been my go-to for Gore and big water until I upgraded to a Burn.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Crappy old playboats can be a great place to start! Most of us learned in them after all. They have the advantage of being excellent for learning squirts, stalls and then cartwheels and they run everything up to class III+ just fine. I started in a Perception Mr. Clean and regret selling it to this day.

Go for the old playboat and shit paddle, you'll be stoked, your skills will come quickly and next season you'll know better what boat should be next.

This is in classifieds now, I was in an S6 just two years ago and it rocked. Go for it:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/swap/sho...nha-s-6&cat=17
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklars View Post
Crappy old playboats can be a great place to start! Most of us learned in them after all. They have the advantage of being excellent for learning squirts, stalls and then cartwheels and they run everything up to class III+ just fine. I started in a Perception Mr. Clean and regret selling it to this day.

Go for the old playboat and shit paddle, you'll be stoked, your skills will come quickly and next season you'll know better what boat should be next.

This is in classifieds now, I was in an S6 just two years ago and it rocked. Go for it:

Pyranha S-6 - Mountain Buzz Gear Swap
Depending on what you weigh, the S6200 is probably my favorite all-around boat ever made. But you should buy my H3, she's cherry.
Old 10-29-2011   #7

Denver, Colorado
I've been looking past most of the playboats for sale mostly because I'm new and would like to break in my roll on a more stable platform. Straight river runners with a planing hull like the Mamba or Hero are few and far between, and the ones that have been posted are too expensive..

BrianK: I hear what you're saying about buying an old design, but when I was reading up on old posts posted by newbies, the predominant advice being given was to spend an extra couple of hundred to buy a boat with updated tech, instead of getting an old RPM or Redline for $100, because of the advances kayaks have made in the past 5-10 years.. Is this wrong?

I might end up settling for an old playboat, I just don't want to spend too much of my first season upside down. I asked around about a Forplay that was going for cheap, but was advised against it. If the boat's not at least a little forgiving, I'm afraid of my "f-this" button going off in spite of all the fun I've had so far (experience limited to a rented Mamba).

Is spring a better time, or do sales stay pretty consistent over the fall/winter?
Old 10-29-2011   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Here's a good barometer in my opinion: If you got your role in like an hour or less, do other outdoor sports and feel you are going to progress quickly in whitewater, start in a playboat. If you needed few sessions to get the role and aren't entirely confident the sport is for you, then start in a river runner or light creeker.

Depending on that, I'd say the S6 I recommended or Dan's H3 are good choices.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011   #9

Denver, Colorado
Anyone know anything about the Perception Supersonic, other than it being an old boat? I can't find much on it..
Old 10-30-2011   #10

Indian Hills, Colorado