Sleeping Bags - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-25-2007   #1

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Sleeping Bags

Alright, so I'm looking at replacing my sleeping bag (which has been good to me) with something a little nicer. Problem is I got it second hand 10 years ago, so I have no idea what model or temp it is.

I definitely want down.

I think I want something in the 15-20F range. I definitely want something a little warmer than the one I've got now, but like I said, I don't know what it is. I've taken it down to about 30 degrees and been cold. Comfortable around 40-50. I won't be winter camping but I'd like to extend the shoulder seasons a little bit. That being said, I don't want something that's too warm for the summer either.

I want it to pack super small for self-supports out of the boat.

I will be using it for a number of purposes so I don't need one of the ones designed to insert a pad into (like Big Agnes).

I realize that this narrows it down pretty well within a brand but I don't know anything about the different brands, so any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

COUNT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007   #2

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Marmot makes the best down bags in my opinion, though also the most expensive. I think you'd be wet over the helium. I'd like to get one someday, but for the regular material they are 350, 400+ for a better material that is supposed to better with water. The whole element line is the shit.
iliketohike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007   #3

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
This might be a bit cooler of a bag but... It's what I have for boating trips.

Mountain Hardwear: Phantom 32°

I put that sucker inside of a minimalist bivy sack and I'm set down to 20deg or so.

REI Minimalist Bivy - Regular from REI.com

It's so ridiculously small and light that it's not even funny. I took it two years ago into an early season Big South and it was perfect. I had the lightest boat by far.

Scott
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2007   #4
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
I like the other brands, but I've gotta say dollar-dollar that the REI bags (subkilo I think is the name of the 20 bag) pack smaller & work great.
My 20 bag packs down to approx. a 5 or 6 inch ball with the smallest granite gear stuff sack. Of all my bros with similar packs it's the smallest by a ways.
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #5

Student
going fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwindpowderrock View Post
I like the other brands, but I've gotta say dollar-dollar that the REI bags (subkilo I think is the name of the 20 bag) pack smaller & work great.
My 20 bag packs down to approx. a 5 or 6 inch ball with the smallest granite gear stuff sack. Of all my bros with similar packs it's the smallest by a ways.
Steep and Cheap
Big Agnes Crater Sleeping Bag: 15 Degree Down w/ Mummy Pad

A great setup if you do a lot of backpacking in the shoulder seasons or you're a cold sleeper even in summer.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #6

Vail, Colorado
Count,

Mountain Hard Wear Tallace should be good.

North Face Cats Meow will fit what you are looking for (Customer Service at the North Face has gone down hill though).

If you have the cash go with Marmot for down, you can't beat it.

Stevesie
Old 10-26-2007   #7

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Steep and Cheap again!
Big Agnes Crater Sleeping Bag: 15 Degree Down w/ Mummy Pad
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007   #8

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
my vote is for western mountaineering

here's a couple that haven't been posted yet:

western mountaineering - Western Mountaineering
and feathered friends - Feathered Friends -- Welcome to Feathered Friends.
both of these companies specialize in down garments, but they're not cheap.

i have a couple of westerns - the antelope in the smf. i think it's rated to 5 or something like that. the other one i don't remember the name (apache maybe), but it's a 15 deg bag and is the dryloft material. i've slept in the open in the 15 deg bag at 14 deg according to the thermometer, and i was toasty. the 15 deg bag packs down to about the size of a large football and weighs just over two pounds. the antelope is really warm, too warm really for me unless it's really cold out. i've been down to about 10 in it, and i still got a little too warm. packs up a little bigger than the other bag. their bags are rated at least 5 degrees warmer than they are good to, unless you're a really cold sleeper.

i had a feathered friends bag too. great bag. super light. quality construction. packed down super small. don't really know why i sold it, but i did, and i bought the 15 degree western. guess that's enough said.

whatever you buy, buy down. way warmer for the weight. and if you buy something that's too warm for the summer, just unzip and use it like a quilt. that way you can hang a leg out or kick it off partially if it gets too hot. that's the only way i sleep in a bag now unless it's really cold. much more comfortable too if you're the least bit claustrophobic.
Old 10-26-2007   #9

Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Damn, I missed it again. Thanks for the tips guys. I'm keeping an eye on S&C.
Old 10-27-2007   #10

ww guide/ frame builder/welder, mobile fabrication gig
Paddling Since: 1988
i have been thru several, and have found a good set-up for me. I have used MH, NF, rei bags, and WM bags.

i don't do much winter camping any more. I use a mountain hardwear "upgrade" bag. basically its designed to zip into another bag, and be that much warmer. I belive its a 30 degree bag. when used in combination with another bag, you really get a lot of range in temps, Its down, and i bought a compression bag for it, when its crushed down, its grapefruit size.

sometimes I have gotten a little chilly, but i always have cap/fleece with me. when i was carrying warmer bags, i never used the cap/fleece, cause i was warm enough. By actually using what you bring ( cap/fleece) you can go with a lighter bag.

it comes with either r/l hand zipper, and it rocks.

good luck. stay warm

Tags
bag