Shredder/PaddleCat lead to more paddling? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-12-2010   #1

, MA
Shredder/PaddleCat lead to more paddling?

This question is aimed at those of you that have a Shredder or PaddleCat like boat, as well as a raft. Does having the shredder lead you to get out more, for quick trips, than you did when you just had the raft?

I have an Avon, but find I don't get out as mush as I want to. I think it might be easier, and more likely, to get out with a shredder. It would be easier to go with my only friend, where the big boat is a bit more of a pain with just 2 people.

So do you go out more? Thanks

Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I had my stinger before the 14' but I paddle that way more than the big boat.

R-1 your shredder and then there is no need for a partner, which makes it easier to go on those quick trips with your kayaker buddies.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Short answer, YES. We have a 17' oar rig and a super puma but we more often use the Culebra or recently the Mini-me. Easier, quicker and more fun therefore more often.
Trebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The shredder also goes down creeks easy and makes laps possible. I ran Boulder Creek's play park at least 7 or 8 times last season - never have tried carrying my 14' raft up and down there. We usually did 2-3 laps carrying the boat back to the top each time. We also carried a shredder up Loon Creek on the Middle Fork and after a good soak in the hot springs ran it back down to the river.

There is also a new learning curve to master with a shredder type boat - it turns so quick you have to learn how to guide it both as a r2 and a r1. So if you enjoy learning new things that is a plus. My first day r1'ing was both humbling and a lot of fun. I nearly flipped in my first class III(-) in the boat. That was a bit of a revelation for someone who enjoys guiding class IV/V. Learning how to set and maintain a ferry angle while r1'ing is a whole new deal - especially when you're on the upstream side.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #5

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
I'm not sure my Shredder gets me out more often...but I also kayak. The best part of the Shredder is that you can easily travel with it....we took one down to Costa Rica several years ago and saved $$ on rental costs for a boat. Trips like the Gunni Gorge are also a lot easier not having to haul a raft down the chucker trail. Multi day trips are also a possibility by loading them across the bow and stern. I did a week long Middle Fork of the Flathead trip in MT that required a flight to the put in. It's not to say you couldn't do all these things with a full on raft....it's just a lot easier with a shredder and probably more fun. They run whitewater so well which makes it the perfect boat to take out beginners. Last month I did a back to back westwater trip with a non boating friend who was nervous about whitewater. By the second day we were running the meat of every rapid. I'd definitely recommend the shredder...it's a boat for ALL occasions!
sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010   #6

frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I hadn't been down the lower blue in 10 years because the put in is not very friendly. This year I got a shredder and went about a half dozen times. I forgot how nice it is. I stand at the top of the hill and let it fly, then I walk down, get in and go.
P.S. it is S-1 if you are by youself in a shredder with a paddle
Old 10-12-2010   #7

Golden, Colorado
We went the other way. My wife has a shredder but we had to get a 16' oar rig when we had kids. If it wasn't for having kids we would have stuck with the shredder. They are amazing. Her second time in the boat was on the Grand. She ran everything and only swam Lava. We love the raft for family camping but if we ever just want to get out on the water for a day trip and we have a baby sitter we take the shredder.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #8

, MA
Thanks for all the responses. They line up with what I thought, but just wanted to check to be sure. For anyone else that might be thinking about getting a paddle cat, Jon at Top River Gear told me that he is doing free shipping until the end of October. That along with the announced price increase for next years model make his deal look pretty good. Thanks again for the input.

RPJ
Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #9

Golden, Colorado
The shredder also makes everything one grade easier than a kayak. You can take a never-ever down class III in a shredder. Makes it fun to take non-boater friends out but not be stuck on Class II.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
The shredder also makes everything one grade easier than a kayak. You can take a never-ever down class III in a shredder. Makes it fun to take non-boater friends out but not be stuck on Class II.
Wow - I'm totally gonna go run a lot of class VI runs since they're only Class V now! I didn't know my shredder had supernatural abilities!

Seriously though - you might want to re-evaluate your statement. Shredders are great boats - but they are narrow and can flip easily (compared to full size rafts) especially with newbies in them. But if I'm wrong I would love to take video of you running some class VI gnar. Just please don't die as I don't find that entertaining, even if I get to yell "I told you so!" at the top of my lungs.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote