Shoulder protection? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-01-2011   #1

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Shoulder protection?

I'm looking into motocross or downhill-bicycle gear that would provide shoulder protection for kayaking.

I couldn't find much information about that here. I was looking at saving up for a "FOX Titan Sport Sleeveless Jacket" or a "SixSixOne Assault Pressure Suit Body Armor"

I heard some professional creekers use motocross gear, but can't find much info on it.

Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011   #2
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Work on your technique and low brace. Unless you are running Yule and the like, I think pressure suit armor for kayaking is just false confidence.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #3

Littleton, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC View Post
Work on your technique and low brace. Unless you are running Yule and the like, I think pressure suit armor for kayaking is just false confidence.
You could argue against wearing helmets, the same way. It doesn't change the fact that when you're flipped you bonk yourself on the head sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011   #4

Boise, Idaho
I ride motocross as well as kayak, and frankly, aside from some elbow guards (similar to what you could buy in any sporting goods stores), I can't see wearing any motocross protection.

Dirt bikers wear one of two types of protection in this case: pressure suits or roost deflectors. You wouldn't really want to wear a pressure suit in water, however I can see it working alright if you have a dry suit. This would be the only option I'd consider. But pressure suits are typically just a jersey with built in elbow and maybe some shoulder guards.

Roost deflectors are of two types: under-jersey and over jersey. Under jersey are typically softer material, but redundant here because you wear a PFD. Over the jersey would be better for shoulder and bicep (and lower back) protection, but frankly impossible with a PFD.

My worry with any of these options is the fit, comfort, and performance of your PFD.

Football shoulder pads would seem to work better...
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #5

Littleton, Colorado
I do tend to wear a drysuit, so yeah.

I just hear about people borrowing protective gear from other sports like motocross. I also read about shoulder injuries on here a lot, and it gets me thinking, y'know.

What we need is a PFD that incorporates shoulder protection. I could easily see a roost deflector doubling as a PFD.
Old 07-01-2011   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to bolsito
I think 95% of the shoulder injuries in kayaking are not from direct impact. Usually it has to do with force on your arm when it's out of position. If you want to prevent shoulder injuries, the best bet is good technique. Not to say that body armor wouldn't be useful in some scenarios, but it seems like an expensive option that would (hopefully) rarely come into play.
bolsito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #7

Golden, Colorado
Elbow/forearm pads are really all you need (besides your helmet and PFD, of course). Unless, like they said, you are running Yule or something.

When I'm upside down the back of my head and PFD are taking the shots.

While upright I hit my forearms and elbows ALL the time. I use them to take a shot when I see it coming.

I've never hit my shoulders while kayaking... in about 15 years of mostly creeking... but I have tweaked both shoulders while high bracing.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #8

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I just got injured a while ago...direct hit to my shoulder (deltoid) while upside down in middle 10 mile, three weeks later it still is very painful and knotted deep in the muscle. If you are tucked under your boat then your head and shoulders can definitely take the impact (better than your face and chest) in shallow fast rivers. There are some padded jersey/base layer types that could potentially work which have thickened areas on top of the shoulder and deltoid region as well as elbow padding. I thought about looking into this and then decided that I would probably work on bracing instead.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011   #9

Littleton, Colorado
That helps. I guess that shoulder protection isn't needed due to the true nature of shoulder injuries in kayaking. I also think that's where ACC was coming from, but I honestly didn't understand, at the time.

I guess I see more why protective padding for shoulders isn't marketed in the paddling community. I probably won't be paddling where motocross gear is really needed, any time soon.

Thanks again, fellow buzzards.

@chepora

I might look more into the less drastic shoulder protection for that same reason. Although, it's really rare to get a serious impact to my shoulder. The one time I did, hit my shoulder, it wasn't that hard (was fine after a couple days). I was on Lower Clear Creek, chasing someone's boat, and I could've avoided being flipped if I didn't panic about my friend's boat and looked out for myself a little by paying attention.
Old 07-01-2011   #10

Redwood City, California
Paddling Since: 2009
All the padding in the world will do nothing to prevent a dislocation due to poor technique.
Rogie is offline   Reply With Quote