Shiva really that heavy?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2012   #1

The Bitterroot, Montana
Shiva really that heavy??

So, I am thinking about selling my Villian while it still has some value and trying something else. The Pyranha Shiva is a serious contender, but looking at paper specs it is apperantly 10 lbs heavier than my Villian. That would make a big difference to me considering how much hiking I do with a boat full of safty gear and lunch. Any one know if these specs actually stack up?

While I am on the subject, my local boat shop carries pyranha, but does not have any demos. Has anybody paddled both and care to enlighten me as to which they think is faster?

montuckyhuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012   #2

Fulford, Colorado
Just walked over to the boat wall and picked up a Villain and Shiva L. I couldn't really tell a difference, they both felt the same. The thing with boat weights: some manufacturers will weigh their boats before hardware, outfitting, bulkhead etc. while others will weigh the boat with all the above included.
I have yet to paddle either boat but my coworkers has paddled the Shiva M and said it is VERY FAST.

Hope this helps
-Andy
elcaposwimteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #3

I don't have any experience with a Villian. The Shiva does seem heavier than a large Burn or Karnali, but not to the point of it being restrictive. It is a very fast boat. Very fast. Really liking it thus far.
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012   #4

The Bitterroot, Montana
Sick thanks. I think i may just pull the trigger and buy one without a demo. I want to get a faster boat but not go full river runner style.
Old 06-16-2012   #5

The Bitterroot, Montana
Ps. Cutch, how does it stack up next to your burn and karnali?
Old 06-16-2012   #6

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
paddled both recently. First the plastic on the Shiva seems super thick and the boat is touch heavier (shiva large vs Villain L) not by much though. I enjoyed the fact that the Shiva is narrow at the knees thus making it easier for me to paddle a larger boat and get vertical strokes. That being said the new tide of change bringing us these large volume super soft edge boats has most of them feeling similar to me. I did not notice a huge speed or acceleration difference in the Shiva, I did on the Villain. I did notice on the Shiva that you can go into holes sideways and backward as it matters not, the huge volume that sits narrow and tall from the water is quite useful if you have your lean timing and brace correct. Quite unstoppable in my opinion (the huge volume has the most to do with this I think). The Villain (which I though was WAAAYYY to big sitting in it for the first time) turned out to be a little easier to roll and faster for me and not at all too big. I also liked the way it planed over holes having the volume as a secondary feature helping resurface your bow and retaining the speed to plane up over the holes. I never subbed out the Shiva large, I think that would take a 30'er or more to accomplish

Taking into consideration I still own and paddle the Jefe, I can say these new large volume boats I have been demoing have much better stability and resurfacing. They seem to boof about the same and scream into eddies a little better especially given their size, and if you get to know and use the secondary chines they offer (I need a bit more practice with that) I bet a playboat sports-car-like feeling is easily achieved.

Bare bones, the Shiva Large was a bit too big for me (I could get used to it @ 170# 6') but seemed stable, fast enough, nimble for the size, and really unbelievable with the surfacing/volume displacement thing going on all around it. The villain was faster, more agile, and had astounding bow resurfacing/displacement if you happened to plug a hole with low speed. Not sure it would perform the same going into a hole sideways but with those secondary chines you can probably control a surf well enough.

Well, I would gladly take either honestly...
Old 06-16-2012   #7

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
Big Dog Dropzone...

Check this out.. look up the Dropzone.
http://bigdogkayaks.com/products
Old 06-17-2012   #8

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I would recommend the Shiva hands down. It's super fast, auto-boofs, and is very stable. I took a chance and ordered one without demoing it, and never regretted my decision. Granted, I've never paddled a Villian, I have several friends who did for a while and are now in Shivas. True, it's kind of heavy out of the water, but I'd rather the more plastic for a much firmer boat. All though the edges look softer than the Villian, if you lean it hard over it really engages nicely.
Something I have heard consistently about the Villian is that when you load it down with extra weight it dogs out and hardly wants to turn at all. I use my Shiva for work and kayak with a bunch of heavy camer gear and a laptop. I was thrilled to learn that it handles *almost* the same with all that gear as when I'm running a fast and light evening Numbers float with almost no extra gear.
I'm barely 140 dripping wet, 5'9" and the Medium feels just right.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #9

The Bitterroot, Montana
Sweet. I am sold. As soon as my Villain is sold I am going to order up a Shiva. Now to decide between M or L. Hmmm. I am 185 and 6' any thoughts?
Old 06-17-2012   #10

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'd guess Large. If I have a choice, I want to be on the lighter end of the weight range for a creeker.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote