Searching for a Kayak for my wife and myself (noobs) - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-02-2011   #1

Columbus, Indiana
Searching for a Kayak for my wife and myself (noobs)

We've both kayaked before, and have whitewater rafted and taken duckies down class 3+. Looking to get into ww kayaking now. We're both fast learners, so I don't want to get something that we're going to get sick of real quick. Although, I'm a lot more athletic, and I'll be doing more outgoing stuff in a kayak than she will. So I'm trying to keep that in mind when looking for kayaks.

We'll be running up to class 4+ (not immediately, but eventually). Running the New and Ocoee. So they need to be able to handle decently big water. And need to be able to paddle decently fast. Not looking for an all out playboat.

Hers:
she's 5'5" 135 lbs
Needs to be SUPER easy to roll, and she's not much concerned about hers being able to do ANY cartwheeling or tricks at all (very limited amounts of surfing). Needs to ba a safe, easy to use boat in bigger water. Would like it to be pretty fast and easy to turn if possible too, but that's a secondary want.
What I've found for her:
Dagger Nomad
Pyranha Karnali
Liquid Logic Jefe
Liquid Logic Remix 59
Jackson Villain S

Mine:
I'm 5'10" 140 lbs
No flipping, looping, etc. Needs to be able to surf really well and cartwheel ok. Also needs to be decent at stern squirting. Needs to be agile and FUN!
What I've found for mine:
Dagger Axiom
Pyranha Z.one
Pyranha Varun

seedubs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011   #2

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Prijon Pure Small for her. Super easy to roll creek boat.

For you, well, I wouldn't plan on going up to Class IV in a boat that stern squirts easily. I would save that for when you've already been down the Class IV several times in a good creeker or river-running boat (but not a playboat crossover).
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #3

legend
We have a small pure in our shop right now. slightly used for a good price.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011   #4

Lakewood, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
Mine:. Needs to be agile and FUN!
How about a Fun?
lemsip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #5

Columbus, Indiana
can a FUN take on bigger stuff (class iv+)?
Old 08-02-2011   #6

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
can a FUN take on bigger stuff (class iv+)?
The short answer is yes, but most kayakers do not make their first descents on Class IV runs in a playboat. If you do it at all, it's usually reserved for runs you've mastered, and just want to squeeze more fun out of. I rarely ever see playboats on Class IV when I run it, and I'm in no hurry to run Class IV in a playboat. In this case, playboat refers to any boat that is good at stern/bow squirts, cartwheels, etc (any boat can surf).

Most kayakers that like both river-running/creeking (Class IV) and playboating, end up with at least two boats: a dedicated creek boat, and a playboat.

With that said, I'd start with the creek boat or river-runner (like the Remix or Hero line-up). So you don't slow your lady down on the rivers, and so on. Given the option, it's better for you and your paddling partner to have matched boats for a given run.

I plug Prijon Pures (but not all Prijons) because me and two of my paddling friends love them. One of said friends has been at this sport for ages and is a Class V boater (at least when he was younger). They both say it's the easiest boat they've rolled. Although I have less time on the river, I have to agree they are incredibly easy to roll. I could hand-roll in the Pure all day and I can't say the same for my playboats. Being full-on creek boats, they are high volume and heavy. Also, the "High Performance Thermoplast" (HTP) they're made out of is probably the strongest plastic out of the current plastic kayaks offered on the market; that was what finally won me over; I shouldn't have to replace my Prijon for ages, given how strongly they're built.

Anyway, do your research, of course. Lots of discussion on their plastic, the Pure, etc.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #7

Columbus, Indiana
Question:

Why is the Dagger Axiom S rated for 90-150 lbs at 34.5 lbs and 51 gallons displacement,
When the Pyranha Z.One S is rated for 99-187 lbs at 35.4 lbs and 48 gallons displacement?

I'm 142 lbs in street clothes (jeans and all), so I'm trying to figure out what size to end up with. But to me, these ratings don't make sense. Shouldn't the one with larger displacement that weighs less be rated for a heavier paddler? Just looking at this, because the medium sizes I think are going to be a bit big for me to move around (I'm a pretty skinny guy). Do you think I'd be ok in the Axiom S? Or is that boat going to be too small for my weight? (I know.....Demo.....But there's nowhere here that carries whitewater kayaks to demo).
Old 08-03-2011   #8

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
For your lady: Remix.

For you: You are in a tricky spot kind of between the sweet spot of boats. You're tall but skinny, so the lack of volume needed to sink the ends is at odds with the desire of your legs to receive blood. I'd take a long look at a Jackson Fun. If you want to step to Class IV-V, get a real creeker. I take my playboats on runs where I need to be knifed in the back occasionally to keep it from being too easy, a "feature" that would get me in trouble on the big stuff.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #9
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Paddling Since: 1999
one more strong vote for Jackson.... 4fun and the Hero series are freakin awesome boats. I am on the bandwagon bigtime, because I thought I lost my roll, and therefore was just a hazard to myself, and thought I was a failedyaker.... I was recommended a 4fun, and in the last year I have had the best year of boating since I got my roll ten years ago.
for your wife hero, remix, diesel... =]
abron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #10

legend
you should definitely come into our shop and check out our used boats. we have some awesome beginner and river runner boats from Liquid logic, prijon, eskimo, pyranha, and a bunch of consignment boats from different brands.
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote