scouting foot bars for NRS 6" drop bar - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-07-2011   #1

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
scouting foot bars for NRS 6" drop bar

i'm trying to pull together an NRS based frame for a 14' Wave Destroyer. going with the new(er) 6" sport cat drop bars but was woundering if there is anything i can do for some foot scouting bars or if that is even a possibility with only a 6" drop? maybe us the 9" brace posts from the NRS deluxe footbar? Thanks

washoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011   #2

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
You might look at taking the frame to a welding shop. The easiest would be to weld some pipe along your drop rails. This would at least get you two pipes on each side to stand on
Old 10-07-2011   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Speedrail T's that stick in horizontally, but you better reef on those setscrews so they don't spin. But I have a friend with that frame, and with that small of a drop you're going to be eating your knees to stand up. I'd go with more drop, except with Aire boats there can be some problems with the inside D rings since they install theirs somewhat high on the tube.
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2011   #4

portland, Oregon
Nrs will custom tailor the drop to whatever you want for a nominal fee
Old 10-07-2011   #5

portland, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt
Speedrail T's that stick in horizontally, but you better reef on those setscrews so they don't spin. But I have a friend with that frame, and with that small of a drop you're going to be eating your knees to stand up. I'd go with more drop, except with Aire boats there can be some problems with the inside D rings since they install theirs somewhat high on the tube.
You cant get the t-s past the bend in the drops unless you use the two piece t-s
Old 10-07-2011   #6

at my house, Montana
Even the short t's? There are two kinds of T's, and the short one isn't much wider than the pipe (on the T). Still, it might be hard. I don't think the split T's would work as they have a big bulge on the back side which would be poking into the boat. That bulge is where the two pieces grab onto each other.

OK, split T straight down, elbow in, and then piece of pipe. This would address the height issue also, however I'm not sure I'd want that hanging below my frame.
Old 10-07-2011   #7

portland, Oregon
Maybe the skinny t with 2 not 3 setscrews might fit around the 45. Come to think of it the setscrews are in diff spots on the fittings. You are probably right. If they fit i'd go with the shortest pipe then go 90 fitting and run the pipes along the sides. Then take to a shop to weld, or drill and pin Make sure your foot cant slip inbetween here. Might have to add webbing to prevent that
Old 10-07-2011   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
My biggest pet peeve with my NRS frame is the lack of cross bracing. If they had cross braces, it would give you something to support a scout bar. The spreader bars they sell kind of work. You could try them and weld some scout bars to them????? I had NRS make me some custom floor boards out of the skidguard material that they use for their siderail racks. I attach them very snug to the lower siderails with heavy duty cable ties and this gives me a floor plus some cross bracing. However, I'm not running a play Cat, and I know you guys & gals need an open floor with scoutbars for that crazy Class V action, so my fix wouldn't work so well for you. I'm curious to see what you folks come up with. As Laura said, with 6 inch drops you'll have your knees up your nose on the scout bars no matter what????
KJ
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011   #9

at my house, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Maybe the skinny t with 2 not 3 setscrews might fit around the 45. Come to think of it the setscrews are in diff spots on the fittings. You are probably right. If they fit i'd go with the shortest pipe then go 90 fitting and run the pipes along the sides. Then take to a shop to weld, or drill and pin Make sure your foot cant slip inbetween here. Might have to add webbing to prevent that
I think you could also file away at the top outside of the T's if you just need to squeeze it by a bit. Maybe, not really sure.
Old 10-07-2011   #10

portland, Oregon
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3012794936.png
Views:	319
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	4053

I sketched a pic of what i might have welded to my nrs drops. Shown is four three inch lengths of 1.5x1.5" angle 6061. The pieces are welded back to back (to make a "T" and then welded onto the drop rail. You should then be able to bolt a piece of marine plywood about 5" wide to the tops of the T's. This should give you adequate footing to straddle the cockpit for scouting