Safety First - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-24-2010   #1

Star Valley, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2010
Safety First

After several pages of discussion and great input we are going to get a 14 ft Tributary. But a wise reader also brought up safety on the river.

What should we learn to be a safe and good rafter? DH has 12 years SAR doing recoveries on the river and I don't want his family to be the next.

I want to learn good safety before hitting the river.

SYOTR.

Wygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010   #2

x, x
Paddling Since: x
reed some books, I liked the complete whitewater rafter. Also, have and learn how to use a throw rope, z drag, perimeter line, flip lines etc. get ready to rig to flip and flip back over. Are you going to do both paddle raft and row? if so, work on both in a controlled environment like class II or a lake.

Take a guide course if you plan on changing out your raft cattle, inexperienced people will tax you mentally and some will panic. you should know how to deal with this as well. Be the strongest member and encourage others to be strong and not panic. paddle often with other people that paddle too, bring competent people to the river and lessen your chances all together, educate those you bring to the sport and keep safety #1 and you will last a long time
bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #3
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
definitely take a Swiftwater Rescue class. guide schools focus more on guiding although there should be some rescue in there.

most important skills are: 1. aggressive self rescue swimming in whitewater. 2. rescuing others with throwbag and/or boat (positioning is key). 3. medical certs (cpr/wfr etc).
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2010   #4

Star Valley, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2010
Great suggestions, I really didn't think about having to be in control of others but that is super to think about.

DH just said that he has his swift water I and II books and that I need to be reading them. A good friend is a swift water instructor and I think he is going to be first on the list of guests down the river. Perhaps a promise of PBR and we can have a day lesson on the snake.

We are stoked to get our raft but don't want to be stupid, stupid hurts.
Wygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wygal View Post
Great suggestions, I really didn't think about having to be in control of others but that is super to think about.
paddling is a team sport! get a good crew and you'll be thankful.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: '05
Whitewater Self Defense is a great source for basic, beginner safety tips. I"m done with mine, and will give it to you if you want it. PM me for more.