Safest, easiest way to transport 4 kayaks on minivan - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-02-2015   #1

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2015
Safest, easiest way to transport 4 kayaks on minivan

Hi! I am completely new to recreational kayaking. I just bought 4 Perception Swifty recreational kayaks for me and my three sons, ages 14, 12, and 8. We bought a Thule Stacker and have them on top of my minivan. They are pretty hard for us to get all lined up on edge side by side. But we've been doing it and having lots of fun.
I am wondering if there is an easier way... as in a different rack or a different way to stack them. Can they go one on top of each other and then strapped down? 2 on each side?
Do they have to have the front and back tie downs attached to the front and back of the car?
What would be the advantage of on edge as on opposed to on top of each other?
Thank you for any help. I'm following instructions but still feel pretty clueless about it......

karenkmontna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015   #2

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Keeping the boats on their side preserves the shape of the hull. If you strap your plastic boats right side up they'll "oil-can" which means they slowly form dents in the bottom. The system you have is proven. Stick with it and you'll get better at tying your boats up. BTW, are you using cam straps to tie your boats down? Cam straps are the best system for securing your boats. If you're using rope or bungees you're boats won't be as secure (unless you're really good with rope).

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Old 08-02-2015   #3

Chico, California
thx for the reply.....
yes, I am using cam straps.... 2 thule ones that came with the stacker and two that i bought separately.
I have the straps wrapped AROUND the 2 kayaks and then have them tightened down.... I am seeing pictures of people using the Stacker with the strap running through the top slot of the stacker, then back OVER the top of the boats and then tightened down. Which do you think is better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015   #4

Chico, California
pics

here they are
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...&sz=w1404-h618

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...&sz=w1404-h618
Old 08-02-2015   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Can't view your pics.

I use Thule stackers and load boats on edge. You want both inside boats to have the hull to the stacker. Mount the outside boat facing exact opposite. Hull out bow other direction, then make sure your cams go through at least one hard attachment point on each boat. Also be sure your straps go under the tower feet, not just the bars. I don't normally use a bow or stern line for whitewater kayaks, but I do when taking my expedition boat or sup's on the highway. I also wrap my cross bars with foam pool noodles and gorilla tape...its just easier on plastic.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015   #6
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I can't see the photos. pretty sure you have to upload them to the buzz to see them.

Carrying lots of kayaks. I don't like to have straps go 'around' anything. I typically run them like a C from one very solid point to another. Then the strap is pushing it toward the stacker not trying to compress the whole kayak.

Not sure that makes sense, but I have strapped a lot of stuff this way including tons of kayaks with no issues. Besides the strap in front and behind the cockpit I do also like to do one strap through a grab loop on the kayak if I am going at interstate speeds for sure. If it is just 10 miles down the road then not so much.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Consult this thread for the definitive authority on strapping kayaks to a vehicle.

The Art of Strappage

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Consult this thread for the definitive authority on strapping kayaks to a vehicle.

The Art of Strappage

-AH
That thread is classic. RIP Dirk.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote