Rx swimming goggles? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-10-2011   #1

Denver,, exhaustion
Rx swimming goggles?

I know there are a few old threads about prescription glasses and kayaking and I have read through most of them.
But I still have a question.... has anyone tried Rx swimming goggles?
My glasses fog so bad. I'm trying not to get contacts if I don't have to. Besides come on swimming goggles would just be so stylish.

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Seems like if they were such an awesome solution you'd see a lot more of them. Plus I think swimming goggle are designed for vision underwater not above. Put some on and walk around and tell me if you really like what you see. What's the aversion to contact lenses? My eyes don't tolerate contacts all that well, but that's what I've been using since I started kayaking and it's the best solution short of laser surgery.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #3

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
rx goggles would be nice if they stayed on, i find the contacts tend to blow out of the eyes when getting a face shot from a wave, more so yaking than raftin. Had a friend try swim goggles over the contacts, but they would just get ripped off and the contacts sucked out. I have to remember to close my eyes but it sux being upside down and blind.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2011   #4

Denver,, exhaustion
Eye splash. Worries me a bit with them. I know A LOT of people use them without issue (or minimal issue) ..... I tried early season just going without glasses and the water hitting my eyes bothered me ( whaah...I know). Just not used to it.
Old 10-10-2011   #5

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you get the right contacts they'll stay in fine...I had to try 3 different brands...finally got focus night and day and they work fine for yaking...plus I only take them out once a month
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I would find the right contacts (not all are created equally for handling water) and learn to time your blinks better. If you want to ease the transition, wear contacts and try putting on some nonRx glasses over your eyes while paddling, and then you can remove them when conditions start causing them to fog up.

Occasionally you get that slap of water to the eye that is really annoying (independent of wearing contacts), but that's like 3 times a season for me so not that big of deal. Occasionally you also get your contact blurred temporarily, but I can't remember the last time that happened to me. If you stash a backup pair of contacts in your PFD, then you also have some redundancy in your system. You're going through beautiful places and making precise movements through fast moving water - why do you want to see the world through foggy spotted lenses?

In true internet forum fashion rather than answering your question I've told you that you've asked the wrong one. If I were hung up on trying prescription goggles before deciding they're an inferior option, I'd go for something like this: ARFA Surf Goggle/ Sunglass | Prescription swimming goggles, Polarized Sunglasses
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #7

Boise, Idaho
I wear contacts and whenever I get splashed they move around enough that I can't see for a few seconds. Makes running rapids an impossible challenge.

I've tried a number of high end goggles (with contacts). Works great while surfing or in low volume water. Get spun in a hole or particularly fast water just washes them off my face and makes for an interesting situation - goggles full of water.

Lasik is the only solution.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #8

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
beer goggles! The true solution.

Yeah maybe lasik, but most of the people i've know who had lasik wind up wearing glasses to either read or drive. maybe KSC's right about finding contacts that stick better in water. I've just learned to close my eyes when I know I'm in for a big splash.
Old 10-10-2011   #9

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
you are going to have the same problem with fogging with goggles as you would with rx sunglasses.

Just get some anti-fog. Works great. You have to apply it each time you get on the river but it really works.

B.C.
rockinRio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011   #10

Denver,, exhaustion
what anti fog are you using? none that i have tried have worked. rain x anti fog worked for a short time.... maybe 10 minutes. but then again if i can keep from breathing hard ( or yes rolling ) i can keep it from fogging that long also.

I think fogging is just part of kayaking in the early spring, Fall and winter.... there is just to large of a temp. variance between the cold water/near freezing air temp and your face putting off all that heat.

I may break down and try the contacts.

Saturday while running laps on lower narrows i fogged the entire time on the river....but would clear up on the hike back up. go figure .