Roof racks for cars - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2010   #1
gh

pnw, Colorado
Roof racks for cars

Never had to buy a roof rack before, I either had a truck or a car with a factory rack. Any opinions on the type that attach to the door frames? Brands? Yakima or Thule?

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010   #2

Paducha, Kentucky
why waste money, just get some duck tape

if ya need to carry your inlaws you might want one of these
instead
Riff Raft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #3

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
Yakima and Thule likely make a model to fit your car. Their websites have easy to use tools to determine which parts you need for your car. If you can't find a match for your make/model give their Customer Service a call.

From there you can either spend the $$ on a new setup, or you can watch the classified ads (Craigslist,etc) for a few weeks until you find the setup that will work with your car. If you don't find the exact setup, you can still save $$ by buying most of the parts used and a few parts specific to your car new.

If you can't find some to fit your car, you can always bolt adapters (artificial rain gutters) on top of your car and then pick up a used set of racks ($25) - see picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5134.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	2598  
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010   #4

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #5

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Crack me up. Not really helpful but funny pics. Yep checked both sites, both companies make a door edge kit, etc that fit the car. Just wondering if there was a preference between brands.
Old 05-10-2010   #7

B.F.E., Wyoming
I like yakima, their bars are a lil less high profile than thule. Easier to get straps around and just in general a little bit nice looking. And I think yakimas are just a touch cheaper.
Although if you plan on driving around town all day with your boat on top of your car in denver, I think most like the thule for that application....
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #8

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Yakima's are nice because you can save a little $$ by purchasing electrical EMT pipe instead of the pricey bars they sell, I think it's the 1" that fits perfectly.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010   #9

Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
yakima bars are round, thule bars are squarish. Not sure about the thule attachments, but the yakima attachments fit both the round and square bars.
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010   #10

McCall, Idaho
the only choice: yakima

i went a little overboard in my exuberance for yakima on this thread last year, must have been bored at work -
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...-lx-27707.html
as stated in that post, i am yakima for life.

Jen, where are you getting the EMT pipe you referenced? can you get it with a black finish, and is it the same pipe wall thickness as the yakima bars? i tried putting 1" threaded plumbing pipe from home depot in my rack a few years ago, and it was just a little too small (only 1/32" or less difference - the thickness of the plastic coating) for the towers and attachments to clamp on to.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote