Roof Rack for '06 Civic LX? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-29-2009   #1

Pipersville, Pennsylvania
Paddling Since: 2008
Roof Rack for '06 Civic LX?

Hi, I recently purchased a used '06 Civic and would like to throw a rack on it. Can anyone recommend one for me? I will be carrying my Wavesport Diesel in the summer months and my snowboard in the winter.

I noticed the Thule Aero works for my car model. Is that a good rack?

I'm a complete noob with this stuff so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Cleves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Thule or Yakima would be the way to go for ultimate versatility. I rock Yakima but that is what I started with so I stick with it.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009   #3

McCall, Idaho
yakima only

yakima vs. thule is a matter of opinion, and most people with roof racks do have one.

mine is yakima only. this is based on having a thule rack on a 97 jetta for a few years and being completely disappointed with it. the main reason is based on simple engineering principals: the yakima bar is a round cross section, which is the most efficient for carrying loads applied in any direction. the thule cross bar is rectangular, which is a less efficient cross section. based on my experience the thule cross bars are more likely to "sag" over the same tower spread as compared to yakima, and that is exactly what happened to mine - they had a significant bow and sag in the middle after year one with a relatively small distance (approx 36") between the tower supports. here is a picture of my truck and camper, both with the tower spread around/over 60" and 66" bars, and there is minimal sag even when loaded up.

the other advantage of yakima is that with round bars, some mounts can be rotated down (like the kayak stackers or ski mounts) allowing a little more flexibility for getting into parking garages. this is probably not an issue for a civic, but it is for my f150.

on a final note, i would suggest getting the next size longer cross bar than what yakima suggests in their fit chart. they probably only suggest a 48" cross bar for your civic, but running the 58" bar is not a problem IMO and it gives you more room for more stuff (like an extra kayak or bike mount). i have 58" bars on my wife's subaru even though a 48" bar was in the fit chart, and have had no problems putting bike mounts or another kayak on the extra bar space hanging outside the towers. you can always cut off a few inches if you don't like the overhang.

most bike, ski, and kayak mounts are universal now, and can be installed on either round or rectangular cross bars so just choose what you like best. examine your mounts closely and make an informed decision if you are buying new - all the stuff is expensive now, and it lasts forever so you are kind of stuck once you buy it. most everything is available used on craigs list, so you can save a little going that route. later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	color_co.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	553.9 KB
ID:	1963  
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009   #4

Golden, Colorado
Thule works fine on my '06 Civic. No leaks in the door seals and it has not fallen off yet.

I used it on a Chevy before the Civic. It leaked BADLY when it rained and It fell off of my Chevy with a full load of kayaks but the adapters are different on the Civic and I have been making sure that they stay tight.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowman View Post
most everything is available used on craigs list, so you can save a little going that route. later.
Thank for all of the great info. I will prob look at Craigslist first. I just did the "Fit My Car" application on the Yakima site, and it recommends Q Towers. Does this mean Q Towers are the only Yakima towers that will fit on my car?
Old 09-30-2009   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ture View Post
Thule works fine on my '06 Civic. No leaks in the door seals and it has not fallen off yet.
Do you have the Thule Aero? And what kayak mount are you using?
Old 09-30-2009   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I mounted the Thule Tracker II system on the roof of my 98 Subaru Impreza L, and it has worked fantastic. The only problem I have had was when drilling the holes to mount the base the flare-nut tool stripped out immediately. However, my local dealer was happy to provide a replacement.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #8

little rock, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1978
I've been using Yakima rack systems for twenty-five years now and will never use anybody else'. I just picked up a Toyota Celica and am searching for Q mount towers as well. I have seen plenty on E-bay but some are of their old design and I am not sure yet as to whether Yakima still makes the individual application clips to go with it. Buy Yakima and don't look back. Try there or Craig's List. You could be a good consumer and help support your local retailer by buying new.

My $0.02

Bob
Old 09-30-2009   #9

McCall, Idaho
if i am envisioning the roof of the civic correctly, it is a gutterless roof. for gutterless roofs without factory racks or rails, the Q tower is what you need. if your civic is a 2 door, the attachment area by the doors/windows may not be long enough and you may also need the stretch kit, but the website fit application should guide you on that. once you have the towers, a little piece of metal yakima calls a "clip" connects the tower to the car, and those are sold in pairs - you may need one pair of clips for the front towers and another for the rear towers depending on the roofline and window/door configuration at each point.

there is an "old" style Q tower, and a new Q tower as currently shown on the yakima website. if you are buying used on craigs list, make sure you buy the new Q tower that looks like the ones shown on the website. you generally can't get clips for the old ones anymore, and the clips from the new style don't fit on the old models. if you are buying used, the clips from the seller's car may not fit your car so you may need to buy new clips too.

try to set your bar spread (distance from front cross bar to rear cross bar) at 36", this is the universal yakima spread and will work with any mounts you want to put on. it also means you can use the cheaper short tray bike mounts like the boa.

yakima has a pretty good hold on most of their "authorized retailers" including the web based ones, and yakima only allows their stuff to go on sale once or twice a year for only a couple weeks at a time. i think it is typically in the spring and in the fall, and the sale is usually 20% off the entire line of base racks and mounts. if you can wait for their sale times, that is the best deal you can find on new stuff. being on the east coast, you can probably find some more shops that carry them. here in colorado, it is really only REI, Rack Attack and a few bike/ski shops for brick/mortar locations - Rack Attack will price match if you find the same exact item on sale somewhere else.

i must be younger than turtle because i haven't reached the quarter century mark, but i bought my first yakima rack in 1995 in order to bring my bikes and skis to colorado on top of my 84 camaro after graduating from college. i sold the original base rack a few years ago for $50, but still have and use the original ski and bike mounts. one mistake messing with thule stuff, and i too am yakima for life.
pbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #10

awesome info, guys. I really appreciate it.

Assuming I go with Yakima.... what type of mount do you recommend for holding my kayak? I'd like something to hold 1-2 ww kayaks.