Rolling the Rockstar a little tricky? Anyone? - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-29-2011   #1

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2011
Rolling the Rockstar a little tricky? Anyone?

Just getting into playboating and took the plunge and bought a demo Small Rockstar... Hoping I will "grow" into it as I learn some more. It's been fun so far, but Im finding it a little tricky to roll. I have a pretty bomber roll otherwise in other boats (even the boyfriends Allstar). I can roll the Rockstar in flatwater no problem, but I get on the waves and struggle some.

Reading that maybe I should use the sweet cheeks 100 and maybe move the seat up a little until I figure it out...

anyone have this same issue?

firepup21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011   #2

Blarney, Iowa
I find that I feel like I sit higher in a Rock Star than in my Super Star. It makes me feel a little looser or unstable.

Where are you having the problem with your roll (or how)? Is it staying upright? Is it only in turbulent water? Is it initial setup? Is it getting all the way through?

I always focus on where my head is on a roll, especially when I change boats (from my Superstar to Superhero, say). So I bite my shoulder strap of my PFD the first few times I roll to get used to keeping my head tucked and coming out of the water last. Maybe try that.

If that's not it, and you just can't stay upright after getting a roll, maybe focus on throwing your body to the front of the boat only after you get rightside up.

Other than that, it might be an issue with your hipsnap, so adjust your pads and backbands as necessary.
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #3

Boise, Idaho
Flatwater is fine can pretty much roll 100% of the time and I have been practicing sculling forward after I come up to get balanced, but it isn't second nature yet...

finding the trouble is in turbulent water/wave trains (when your stressed out a little) - I'll be surfing a wave and flip over for some reason, then take two to three tries to roll up sometimes. I've only had to swim twice, but its a little frustrating when I normally don't have any trouble. I know I'm pulling my head up sometimes, so I'll try the biting the shoulder strap idea - I like that...

I think with the short stern on that boat if you don't roll perfectly and get centered right away, you either don't come all the way or flop back over. I seem to get 80% up and flop over - probably combination of head and not getting forward...

I've only had the boat for a short while so I proly need to be patient and just practice a lot. It's definitely different from rolling my bigger boat or even one of the older playboats.

I just hope I didn't get in over my head with the Rockstar..maybe I should have started out with a little more forgiving playboat... I thought I could learn some tricks a little quicker, but it won't do me any good if I can't roll

Thanks for the thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2011   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I'd say that the Rockstar isn't the easiest boat to roll, but it isn't so much of a difference that it causes me problems. Keep working on making your roll awesome. I'm not trying to be critical here, but keep focused on having a great roll and assume the equipment is not at fault. Good luck!
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #5

Boise, Idaho
for sure!... I think I just need to figure it out since its a bit different from what I'm used to. Adapt and overcome. Besides, rolling is really my only trick right now, so I have no choice but to perfect it. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2011   #6

Blarney, Iowa
No, what's wrong is definitely your technique, and not the boat (sorry, just being honest). When you say that you're not getting all the way upright then something is going on and I'll bet almost anything it's that you're bringing your head up first. Just remember that in almost any situation you'll be fine to take that extra split second to really tuck forward when you roll over and get your hands set up, then tuck that head, work your hip snap and stroke at the same time, making sure your head comes up last, and get right back into attack position by taking a quick stroke or two.

I found that with the RS I was a little more tippy after I get upright, and that's when you just need to focus on squatting your butt, leaning forward and taking that bracing stroke.

Just remember with it being fall that you need to get into the pool and practice over the winter so you don't lose your roll! Practice is really all you need at this point - it sounds like you pretty much have it down already!
Anchorless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011   #7

I had a new 2Fun a few years ago that I was having trouble rolling for a while when I first got it. Someone from Jackson suggested raising the seat, and that really did help. He said something about the center of rotation being different in different boats. Practice and getting used to the boat helped too of course. Good luck.
rboater7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #8

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepup21 View Post
for sure!... I think I just need to figure it out since its a bit different from what I'm used to. Adapt and overcome. Besides, rolling is really my only trick right now, so I have no choice but to perfect it. Thanks.
The seat height combined with high deck height was the cause of finding it harder to roll for me (that said I still could hand roll on the off side). Your paddle just doesn't get that close to surface in a newer Jackson, and sometimes that means that your paddle's angle is tilted downwards as well, both the blade and the shaft/whole paddle. Focus on cocking your wrists forward to ensure a climbing angle for the power face of your forward blade. To get closer to the surface I find it is easier to think about pulling your knees towards your chest rather than your body to the boat or surface.

Before you start your roll see if you can get your forward hand's knuckles out of the water, and once you do that cock your wrists all the way towards the hull. Then snap harder than usual. I gave that advice to someone I met in the playpark who was struggling with their roll in their new Jackson and it really helped them out fast. Hopefully same will go for you!
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #9

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
A good drill to practise in flatwater is to fall over in awkward positions on both sides. The problem with flatwater rolling is we always set up first and that is not realistic when playboating.
I also spent a week at Kelly's (my first playboating too) and found I always seemed to get flipped on my off-side. It sure taught me that my roll was not as good on this side. Like you I took more than one try to get up on many occasions. Sooo embarrassing! The crowds would cheer but not because of my skills but because they were happy I didn't swim
I paddle a 2010 star with a raised seat and yes...it did get some getting used to. My first experience surfing was more of a high speed wobble.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011   #10

Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
If you come up leaning on your back deck, I'd say from experience (tried my friend's boat) it's way easier than normal. Front deck, much harder for sure.
Kendrick is offline   Reply With Quote