river stereo - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-23-2012   #31

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I like the hand crank idea. More charging amps per hour...and if you have a big group and all are enjoying the tunes, it shouldn't be a problem to pass it around and let everyone share in charging duties.

The Ion TailGaters last about 12-14 hours on one charge. I'll pull mine apart and check battery size. I think they have a fairly efficient amp.

MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012   #32

Golden, Colorado
Setup looks sweet maybe some solar power or a small wind turbine on the raft frame could be used as a trickle charger
gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012   #33

I do carry a solar panel for charging the satelite phone battery. However with such limited sunshine in December it's probably not practical to charge the 12v battery.

Me and the Grand Canyon don't get along well in the wind so I'd never do anything to encourage it, but thanks for the suggestion.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012   #34

ebbing, flowing..., CO, NM
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryDingle View Post
Nice. I'm pro music. Everytime I've busted out music in camp,whilst sitting around the fire,morale and the general mood of everyone improves. "It's science."
You have obviously never been on a trip with me... canned music in the wilderness is the only thing I have ever encountered in my life that flips some sort of primal switch & makes me see red. Literally, in the middle of cooking, I have to leave- go for looong well out of ear shot hike to prevent throws downs & other such uglyness. (And believe it or not, I am a remarkably friendly and sociable person! All of which gets thrown out the window at that point.) This is something that I have struggled with in recent years as the whole ipod revolution has made it's way into more and more wilderness situations, and have found myself wondering what the fuck my issue is. (It really is quite a serious and scary uncontrollable reaction, that is obviously not normal.) I have come to the conclusion that as a life long career boater and life long career musician, (yes, those are both my day jobs, always have been & always will, as well as my two biggest passions,) Rivers and Music are the two most sacred things in the entire Universe to me. I am all about singing to the canyon walls, jamming with other musicians around the camp fire, even fiddling on my raft through the miles of flat water. I LOVE hearing people make music on the River! I Love making music on the River! But for some reason, a boom box on the River stabs me right in the heart as the most blasphemous form of sacrilege and disrespect to the two things most dear to my heart. I'm not saying that I'm right or wrong. I understand that most people don't feel this way, and that 99.9% people who do agree with me about boom boxes not belonging on the River don't have nearly as strong of a reaction as I do. I understand that I have issues, I understand that I am playing the hater here. But also, please take into consideration, that Not everyone does enjoy it. It's not "science." It doesn't improve everyone's mood, in fact, I know many moods that it sours, (mine to the point of seething uncontrollable anger.) Though I understand that I am the anomaly here in regards to my strong reaction, I am far from alone in disliking canned music in the wilderness. Please keep your ipod to your ear buds, and yeah, bust out that guitar!
Old 11-25-2012   #35

btw, shoenfeld13 gets invited on any of my trips! You can call me old fashioned, crusty, boring, fossilized, hater, whatever. I'm not a partier, never was. I'll side with the one armed Powell beating & a verbal Ed Abbey assault on this one!
Old 11-25-2012   #36
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Wow. Interesting point RiverMamma. It shows that you should have a discussion with your group about music on the trip before you launch! I have to say that as a lifetime musician too I get sometimes get sick of the hippie with the guitar and would often prefer to hear quality music that I love - played at reasonable times and at a reasonable volume, of course. We went on a trip last year with a group that definitely overdid the boombox - blasting music until the wee hours. It can absolutely be overdone.

I hope you discuss your condition with each group you float with before you launch RiverMamma. Your "seething uncontrollable anger" sounds like it could be much worse for the happiness and safety of the group than a Grateful Dead tape at dinner time!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #37

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I put this together at the beginning of summer. It's heavy, but it'll last over a week with heavy use. Marine speakers and amp with a deep cycle 80ah battery. It also has some storage room available.

Oslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #38

Absolutely Randaddy! On trips I TL, I give the music respect talk. On trips I've been invited on, I go on that looong hike when the boom box comes out- yes, "seething uncontrollable anger" is no bueno for anyone! Let alone me! I would much rather go enjoy a hike! And yes, I totally agree that music respect goes for acoustic as well, when people aren't digging on it, it's time to put it away and listen to the sound of the River. I have definitely been in situations where the drunk still up with the guitar grates on my attempting to sleep ear. :P Someone mentioned in a post earlier that a group had brought amps for midnight jams? yeah, not cool. I think it really just boils down to respect, respect for our selves, our surrounding, our comrades, other people in our vicinity. Just simply being aware and compassionate. And yeah, I'm working on my issue... trying to figure out & release whatever that is... in the mean time, I do my best to be respectful myself, and walk away from situations that I need to.
Old 11-25-2012   #39

since my thread has taken a center line through Lava, I'll go with the flow.

Rivermama, do you own any CD's, do you have a radio in your car, do you have any favorite musicians you like to hear other than live performances, did you learn to play listening to eight tracks, cassettes, cd's, mp3's?

If Bill Monroe was on one of your trips and being not able to play, said hey rivermama listen to this unreleased CD I brought along, you'd rip his arms off, beat him with the stumps and go for a looong walk.

for those of us folks who can't play live music, we are left with canned music to warm our spirits. It seems like its your way or the highway, even though when you are on the highway you're listening to canned music.

We all agree that unapproiate use of loud music is a circumstance no one enjoys and should be avoided at all costs. If you trulely feel that I am a blasphemous and disrespectful person to the wilderness or others, you are terribly misguided ( pun intended).

I think you need to listen to a little more Garcia and ravage those who deserve it. Not everyone who brings canned music on the river intends to flip your switch, we're just making a good time better.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012   #40

yup, I know. I understand these things. Hence my attempts at being respectful myself, walking away when I need to, and trying to heal whatever strange ailment I seem to have. And no, I can't fault you for wanting entertainment on your boat with no one to talk to. Funny enough though, I am one of those strange people who doesn't listen to music very often... unless I'm trying to get seriously motivated to clean my house! Or listening to one track over & over while trying to learn it. But yeah, it's really pretty rare I've got music playing (outside my head anyways!) I know... I'm weird. I must confess though that the simple sound of the River in all her glorious songs is my favorite sound in the world, and the most inspiring of muses! And common, we've all got to admit that whoever made the original one armed Powel beating joke was pretty damn funny! Again, as I said, it all boils down to respect. No one way, no highway. Simple mutual understanding and respect. Just spouting my two bias cents to play the devils advocate, as all of us a-hole buzzards like to do. Enjoy your trip & be sure you've got Brokedown Palace on your playlist!