River Shoes - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Boise, Idaho
River Shoes

I am in the market for some new shoes and am wondering what your favorites are that are currently available to purchase. I searched some old threads but everyone talked about mostly discontinued shoes such as 5.10s or the original Patagonia.

Just to give a comparison I've been using mostly Keen sandals during warmer weather and some NRS neoprene booties with the hard bottom with my drysuit. I don't care for the booties as the traction sucks and they are too flimsy for scouting/hiking (you can feel everything). The Keen's are fine but not the best traction either, but they are older so maybe new ones are better?

What do you like that is on the market right now?

Bwick84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Astral. I have the Loyak which is pretty lightweight but the Brewer is a bit more burly for hiking.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I love my Astral Brewers.
Wore my first pair on two winter time GC trips, my new pair has been down there once, plus a bunch of other places.
My favorite feature is the traction, the things just stick to dam near anything, which is what I want when when I’m grabbing scouts, camps, doing river rescue, or running something tight and technical.
Pretty comfortable, to.
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Love them for scrambling, to, and I’ve done some climbing in them as well.
Basically the shoe I ware, when I don’t want to bust my ass!
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have the Astral Brewers and really like them.. I have really flat feet and they rubbed me a little where ones arch should be. I fixed this with a pair of low cut neoprene socks. after a short break in I could wear them without the neoprene socks.
codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Arnold, California
+1 for the Brewers. The Loyaks are similar but a little softer.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

West By God, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm pretty happy with the Chaco Torrent Pro. Closed toe protection, drains quick and the soles are grippy.
Paddle Iraq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherpaDave View Post
+1 for the Brewers. The Loyaks are similar but a little softer.
My buddy has the Loyaks and that was his complaint. When we were scouting stuff he would feel just about anything through them.

The Brewers do look a bit beefier.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #9

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle Iraq View Post
I'm pretty happy with the Chaco Torrent Pro. Closed toe protection, drains quick and the soles are grippy.
Thank you for the suggestion, I've never seen those before. The soles seem pretty thick on them so I would assume they would be good for scouting.

Also, thank you to everyone for the replies so far. The Brewers seem pretty popular but if anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd still love to hear it. Not sure what my local companies have in stock and I'd prefer not to buy shoes online if I can.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #10

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've been rocking Keens for years, probably 6 or 7 pairs of them over 16 seasons. Mind that I usually wear them all summer, and they last! They have siped soles and grip very well on wet stones, shores, etc. They also have a Vibram sole, so you can hike in them for hours. I've done a few 10+ mile hikes in them without a blister. Love these sandals! Also wear NRS hydrosocks under them when the water is cold and for some extra protection during the high water season.
powrider686 is offline   Reply With Quote