River Shoes - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking > Kayaking | Gear Talk

Old 05-30-2019   #11
in dry dock

Glenwoody, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Chaco sandals in all conditions

if your feet get cold and you feel like you need neoprene socks, you can lay the toe loop flat and wear your Chaco's with the socks

noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2019   #12

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Shit, I didn’t even hear about the five ten / adidas changes. So glad I got the last round of the five ten canyoneer 3 with canvas instead of neoprene. My third pair and have been so happy with them as old posts show. It looks like some sizes are still available so would grab them if possible.

Lots of buddies happy with astral as well. My only input is to get the most solid and burly shoe/boot you can fit in your boat. Ankle support and good sole go a long way, took me a while to realize that.
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019   #13

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwick84 View Post
The Brewers seem pretty popular but if anyone else has any other suggestions, I'd still love to hear it. Not sure what my local companies have in stock and I'd prefer not to buy shoes online if I can.
If you do end up going with the Brewers, and can’t find them near by, they do seem to run true to size. With the added thickness of a dry suit, and one pair of socks, I go with a half size bigger, and they still are fine with for going bare foot, as well.
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2019   #14
Never enough free time

Red Lodge, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahfecks View Post
Chaco sandals in all conditions

if your feet get cold and you feel like you need neoprene socks, you can lay the toe loop flat and wear your Chaco's with the socks
I picked up some "scuba diving" neoprene socks that are like 1mm thick from amazon. WETSOX is the brand. They are the only neoprene socks I could find with a split toe to make them "Chaco compatible."

I basically wear my chaco's for everything and keep my Astral's in my personal bag in case I need to change out of my sandals for whatever reason. I do love my Loyaks, I just don't wear them as much.
MontanaLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019   #15

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
I like the traction Astral Brewers offer, but they stay wet for days and if you swim, there is a good chance they will slip off your heel and be gone. They are just not high enough to secure the heel.
Phil Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019   #16

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
How are the Brewers in a kayak? Enough bend at the heel to point your toes forward?
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019   #17

Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Merrell seems to have come out with a lot of stuff recently that looks interesting for the river. Has anyone tried them?
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019   #18

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I have Astrals, Keens, Chacos and Tevas. Why so many? Call it a fetish and getting them at near wholesale makes it easy to indulge. But what I wear rafting now and around camp are the original Crocs. They truly are waterproof. All of the other shoes get wet and pick up sand/dirt that adheres to the wet fabric for much longer than I prefer. They get nasty and stay nasty. In my opinion, the fact that they stay wetter and sandier longer results in foot rot(cracked skin and fungal/bacterial infections). If it is a heavy duty day on the river, I wear keens with toe box. Of course for colder/rainier days or kayaking I have many other choices.

This opinion about Crocs is a 180 degree change. I used to think Crocs were silly and cheap(actually, never cheap). No more. I consider them the perfect light duty day river wear.

Search online and you can usually find them very affordable.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019   #19

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
+1 for Astrals - best traction and durability. The brewers are nice but I prefer the TR1 Mesh, they dry faster than any river sneaker I've had and have the support of a trail running sneaker. Don't get canvas river shoes like the NRS crush cause they never dry and wear out quick like a pair of cheap old skate shoes.
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019   #20

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Pearl View Post
I like the traction Astral Brewers offer, but they stay wet for days and if you swim, there is a good chance they will slip off your heel and be gone. They are just not high enough to secure the heel.
I’m sure it depends on the persons foot, I swim in mine a lot, on purpose, and they stay on really well, better than anything else I’ve worn, but peoples feet are all different.