River runner help.. - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-23-2013   #1

Warrandyte, Vermont
River runner help..

Hi all, I'm trying to decide which boat might be the better all rounder the jackson zen or liquidlogic remix. I run rivers not creeks and need a boat that is stable, fast in the flat stuff and has the ability to play a little.

What's your thoughts?

Slippery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013   #2

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Paddling Since: 2012
Either, go with comfort/preference for the outfitting and price. I personally love the Zen. Nothing wrong with LL though. See them everywhere, just haven't tried one.
Dman987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013   #3

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Now that I am thinking about it. Try both and see which stern you like better. Both are kinda scoops and can be sticky so that might be a deal breaker between the two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2013   #4

Warrandyte, Vermont
Thanks for your advice dman, if price and comfort is the key then I think the remix wins, but I'm more concerned with performance over price and comfort, you might be right to test paddle both but was hoping for real world experiences from others if possible that might have gone there already.
Old 12-23-2013   #5

Edwards, Colorado
I have never paddle the LL but I love the Zen. It is very fast in the flats and is very stable. I love how adjustable and comfy the outfitting is. Nothing bad to say about it at all.
Old 12-23-2013   #6

Sumas, Chilliwack, BC
Sorry forgot to mention hull differences, Zen has a planing hull while the remix has a displacement hull. Read up on the differences and make your decision. Both are great boats from what I have paddled and read about.
Old 12-24-2013   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
I can highly recommend the Remix. It has everything you want in a river runner.
jones boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013   #8

Warrandyte, Vermont
Had a read on hull differences and I'm leaning towards the planing hull, seems the zen could be a river runner that does have some play boat abilitys over the remix.
Old 12-26-2013   #9

Central, Idaho
Zen vs remix

I paddle a zen 75 and demoed a remix 79 prior to settling on the zen. I use the zen primarily on class 4-5 big water/steep river stuff. I'm 6' 170.

I would say at least half of the people I boat with paddle remixes, very popular idaho boat. It felt like it might have gotten up to speed a little quicker then the zen, but similar speed over all. Punches holes well, felt like it might ride a little higher, more stable then the zen at my weight. Lack of edges meant having to pay a bit more attention on peel outs and ferries, but might be a bit more forgiving. Surfs ok. Outfitting is comfortable, and solid. In hindsight I probably should have tried the 69. I felt to loose in the 79 and would of had to spend some time adding foam to get a tight fit. I'm sure I could paddle one of these and be perfectly happy with it. Probably a better choice if you see your self creeking in the future, displacement hull will be a bit more forgiving.

The zen feels very similar, but with a few differences that sold me. The 75 fits me like a glove, and feels a bit smaller, even though it's advertised as being the same size as the 79. Lower knee position makes it feel very responsive. Really like how snappy the edges are. Planning hull surfs well on big green waves, edges are also nice for trying to get out of big holes during unintentional rides.. The outfitting is one thing that really sold me. The bulkhead is super easy to remove and pack gear in front of for overnighters. It's also saved me some ankle pain after a hard piton. Plastic seems great, had a big dent in the nose after piton, popped out on its own after a few hours in the sun. The rest of the outfitting is very simple and light, but seems durable. Overall the boat is considerable lighter then most other similar boat. Both of these boats take a fair amount of effort to boof, and are not a nimble as a creeker, but you get used to it.

If your looking for a river runner for class 3-4 type stuff that can play a little I would go with the zen. If you have intentions of running harder stuff the remix might make a little more sense. Demo if you can, but I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Bigwater87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013   #10

Central, Idaho
Should clarify, play in the zen = front surf and spins. Look else where if you want a river running playboat.
Bigwater87 is offline   Reply With Quote