River Music - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-15-2011   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
River Music

Does anyone out there have plans, photos or recommendations for a river stereo that'll work with an iPod? Seems like something could be done with an ammo can, marine speaker and deep cycle battery. I've seen what's available commercially, but I'm looking for a winter project.

Thanks for any suggestions!

P.S.

This isn't an invite for opinions regarding having music on the river, how I should be enjoying my time on the river or what I should be leaving in the city, although I'm sure someone won't be able to resist.

clinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011   #2

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I used the Atlantic Icebar for the Gen 3 nano. It is similar to this on my Grand Canyon trip. It never took a swim, but feels solid and gets plenty loud for listing to in camp. I didn't use it while I was floating. The linked style looks bigger, but it may still fit in an ammo can when you are not using it.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
My buddy has a bosch tool radio he straps to his cat deck. It has a dry ipod compartment and with one battery in it and a spare in his drybox ive seenit run overnight trips.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011   #4

boulder, Colorado
So, I spent the past winter on the Gulf Coast. As I was sitting around, board out of my mind I built what you are talking about.

I essentially built a two speaker sub box that fits into an ammo can. I used a 30W (I think) amp that I bought online which was chosen for lower power consumption. I used two rechargeable batteries in the box itself. I also built a carbon fiber solar panel to charge the batteries, or run the boom box. The panel mounts on the back of the box. I used a solar charge system controller to regulate the charging of the batteries. I also included two voltage meters mounted on back to gauge remaining play time.

It is f'n loud. The speakers are really nice full range drivers. They were chosen for a very good sensitivity which means they are very efficient at turning battery power into music.

It works, just don't be stupid and not allow for direct wall charging of the system.
squeakyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #5

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Oarboatman has two really awesome setups. One is a full cd deck mounted in an amo can that two outdoor speakers mount to. Really cool. Mabey pm him to get more ideas.
Ladderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011   #6

Billings, Montana
Paddling Since: 15
Ok...I'm showing my age. These are the days of Pods and such. But for what it's worth I use a Sony shower CD/radio player. It's waterproof, inexpensive albeit old school. Loud enough and holds up good. I'm on my second, the first was last heard playing the "Doobie Brothers" merrily heading to the Gulf of Mexico via the Yellowstone River after a poor move on my part....
jnsmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I like where this post is going. An ipod and speaker set-up in an ammo can would be ideal. Any pictures of what people have made so far? I'd like to "reverse engineer" a similar set-up if i can see enough picutures.
River Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #8

I like Leif's setup.

Apparently I don't know how to attach photos in a thread.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1133256...37948878433618
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #9

Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
For roughly 350 days of the year I have the option of listening to any music I choose, on the stereo system of my choice. While on river trips, I prefer to enjoy the sounds of the river, nature, or silence.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011   #10

Covered by the disclaimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post
For roughly 350 days of the year I have the option of listening to any music I choose, on the stereo system of my choice. While on river trips, I prefer to enjoy the sounds of the river, nature, or silence.

Please refer to the OP's original disclaimer rider.... As per the P.S. amendment, your personal observations regarding the sounds of the river, nature or anything to do with silence are hereby rendered irrelevant to this discussion.

Sorry dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinks View Post
P.S.

This isn't an invite for opinions regarding having music on the river, how I should be enjoying my time on the river or what I should be leaving in the city, although I'm sure someone won't be able to resist.
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote