River Knife for Astral Green Jacket? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-30-2012   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
River Knife for Astral Green Jacket?

Was given an Astral Green Jacket that is a couple seasons old (but lightly used) over the holiday. Need to get a river knife (or 2) for it, and need opinions.

I did a few searches and found some info, but thought an updated thread might not be a bad idea. My old pfd was a Stohlquist Brik, and I keep a Gerber Blacky Collins "Design" on the chest. Seems most people use either the Gerber River Shorty, NRS Pilot, or Bearclaw. I am concerned about the knife releasing too easily from it's sheath, as well as being too bulky and in the way.

Recommendations? Thanks.

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Columbia River Bear Claw, reading the post about the incident in Bailey a ways back got me to switch out, been very happy. Its low profile, does not get snagged, and has never come out on me accidentally.

CRKT Bear Claw Knife at NRSweb.com
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #3

Searching for water....., Idaho
I use the NRS pilot and it is holding solid for several years now on my green. The co-pilot is a little shorter and could get caught less often. River Knives seem to get lost no matter what jacket they are on. If you are really worried pack a spare.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have had the Gerber Riverrunner (pointed blade) and the River Shorty on my Green Jacket since the beginning. I have never had any issues with it falling out, even when climbing into a raft. The only reason that I switched from one knife to the other is due to user error (read dropped it in the drink when new tippet on a fishing trip)
DoubleYouEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
Columbia River Bear Claw, reading the post about the incident in Bailey a ways back got me to switch out, been very happy. Its low profile, does not get snagged, and has never come out on me accidentally.

CRKT Bear Claw Knife at NRSweb.com
Do you have suggestions on how to mount a bear claw on the green jacket? I just picked one up and put it on the square plastic thingie, but am not impressed with the placement.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #6
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I have a river shorty on the chest. I use an elastic hair tie girth hitched to the handle and wrapped around the sheath. This provides a small amount of tension to hold the knife in place but it easily broken in case of emergency. This has worked for over a year and the girth hitch is easy to untie for non-emergency knife situations.

Unfortunately with the storage pocket even partially filled the knife handle tends to point outward and on several occasions my paddle shaft has ended up underneath it. I suspect sooner or later the plastic square will give way then I will buy another river shorty and mount it handle down on a shoulder strap.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #7

Flagstaff, Arizona
I have an NRS Co-pilot. Its a pretty good camp tool but seems too short to cut webbing in an entrapment situation.
NorthernAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #8

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOrion View Post
Do you have suggestions on how to mount a bear claw on the green jacket? I just picked one up and put it on the square plastic thingie, but am not impressed with the placement.
Not sure I can explain it articulately because it took me a couple tries to figure out what worked for me. I have it mounted so that the handle is pointed down and at the angle pointing towards the releasable loop you use for a tow tether or your skirt. Then I took two zip ties (industrial strength) and wrapped those through the lash tab and over the knife to back up clip on the sheath.

After my ramble I should have asked if you are not liking the position it takes on the lash tab (i think thats the square plastic tab) or how securely it sits once attached? I did not like either at first but the zip ties make it solid and the position has worked now that I am used to it.

My green jacket and knife are a couple years old and in looking at pictures they might have changed the layout a bit....

Will take a pic and send it if you want, but it has worked for me to be easily accessible for a right hander and out of the way while paddling.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #9

SYOTR, Tennessee
I have mounted a knife on the inside between the mesh pocket and the front panel. There is about a 2 inch strap you can attach one to.

I never liked using the exterior lash tab because when I restuff a throw bag the rope gets kind of tangled on the knife (using the rope over the shoulder method).

I have since switched to a folding knife clipped onto the outside fabric of the big front pocket (with the body of the knife itself inside the pocket)

I called Astral and asked about retrofitting an old jacket with a knife pocket like the new Greens and they said no dice. They don't do it and if I tried it would void the warranty.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #10

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Check this guy out:

CRKT Renner Neckolas™ Knife

The quick release/lock on the sheath is convenient, and it's a good deal more low profile than the Pilot. I went through two Pilot's before trying the CRKT; the Pilot's just seem a little bulky, snag easily, no super great placement options on the green... always come off when climbing BACK into the raft... I always thought the co-pilot was on the small, puny side.
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
astral